Virgin Stang, where to start???

Fox_84

Dec 28, 2005
Just bought a really clean, straight, solid 93 gt with 123,000 miles. ALL STOCK! I am planning to add Wolfe Race Craft through floor subframe connectors. Also, planning to do torque box reinforcements, but what ones are best and where/how to get them? Do I need to do uppers and lowers? Also, what about the reinforcement plates, are they worth it? What else do I need to do to make it SOLID, dont want to ever have to worry about warping, difficulty door shut or aligning, or cracks/problems of any kind. This car is perfect and want to make it stay that way. Also, the car has lowering springs that are to low. A-arms are higher on outer ends than on inner ends. Not even parallel with ground. It rides really hard and rough. What should I do. i want the car lower than stock, but not quite this low. I am thinking about coil over on the front and moroso trick drag springs in the rear. Does this ride well? Also what is the best brand for coil over? How much $? Where to get? Other opinions on suspension setup are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Also if anyone has pix of ride height, I do want it lower than stock, I want it to HOOK well also. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's stock, why focus first on suspension? Why not start out with some nice gears, a shifter (or shift kit if it's an auto,) and some exhaust?

Not that upgrading the suspension isn't a worthwhile investment, but your thread title is "where to start?" .. I personally (take that for what its worth) wouldn't start by pouring it all in to the suspension.

yea a shifter and some gears is a must. Frame connectors and some torque boxes is a good idea if you want to keep it strait. I am trying to make mine stop and handle better than make it faster. Not much sense in going real fast if you cant stop or make a turn at higher speeds.

Fox_84 said:
Just bought a really clean, straight, solid 93 gt with 123,000 miles. ALL STOCK!

Contrats on finding a stocker!

Fox_84 said:
planning to do torque box reinforcements, but what ones are best and where/how to get them? Do I need to do uppers and lowers? Also, what about the reinforcement plates, are they worth it?

look up Rick91GT (member of stangnet) he makes good reinforcments. I plan on getting a set here shortly. Uppers and lowers are the way to go since the sheet metal on these cars is so flimsy.

Fox_84 said:
What else do I need to do to make it SOLID, dont want to ever have to worry about warping, difficulty door shut or aligning, or cracks/problems of any kind. This car is perfect and want to make it stay that way.

SFC, the torque boxes and a strut tower brace should cover all of the basics. If you get really worried a small roll cage would really help out.

Fox_84 said:
Also, the car has lowering springs that are to low. A-arms are higher on outer ends than on inner ends. Not even parallel with ground. It rides really hard and rough. What should I do. i want the car lower than stock, but not quite this low. I am thinking about coil over on the front and moroso trick drag springs in the rear. Does this ride well?

Look for some FRPP B springs to raise the car up a little. There are a few other companies out there that sell springs that will not put the belly pan in the weeds. I haven't ever used coil overs so I can't comment.

Fox_84 said:
I want it to HOOK well also. Thanks.

Good luck!

I want to do suspension first and solid this car up because it is the straightest fox I have ever seen. I have a set of 373 gears going in soon and as far as the shifter goes, I am waiting for my TKO 600 install to get shifter and driveshaft, if will go in the same time the 351 or charged 302 ( cant decide which one). I want this car solid so I dont have to worry about turning this thing into a junk car. Then I will worry aout performance. I already ran a 2001 gt and he jumped me a fender off the line, but after that up to 80 mph, I hung right at his door. The car is mean for a stock 302 with 123,000 miles. I just want this car to stay as straight as it is now. Other comments???