VOM question

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
I'm trying to diagnose the non functioning automatic transfer case on my POS Ranger. An explorer repair website says to use a VOM to check for continuity across two terminal in a pin connector. To check for continuity, do you set the VOM on Ohms and if there is no value, there is no continuity and if there is a value, there is continuity?

Also, they say to apply a 12 volt source to the pins on the motor side of the connector to see if motor will turn. Where would you get 12 volts from? I wouldn't think you would pull a wire off a 12 volt source on the vehicle, and I wouldn't think you should try to rn temporary wires off the battery. The easiest method I can think of is to wire two 6 volt lantern batteries together in series and run wires off that, but it still doesn't seem like too hot of an idea. Is there an easier/safer way?

• Sponsors (?)

Most meters have a separate setting for continuity. It usually has a dot with curved lines to the right of it (like sound waves), or a triangle with a line across 1 vertex (IIRC). When you touch the 2 probes together you should here a sound , or on some a light with illuminate (mine beeps and says SHORT on the display).
For the 12 volt source use any 12 volt source from your car, or a test lead (temp wire) from the battery.

Ohms is a measurement of resistance NOT continuity. Continuity is a measurement of electrical consistancy: for example, a light bulb may be tested with a VOM by checking to see that it has a functional fillament. Meters may be either analog or digital: both have a definite purpose but either will work in your application

A 12 volt power source may be easily be drawn from the vehicle's battery or any other by using jumper wires. Remember to observe the correct polaity.

SuperDave said:
Ohms is a measurement of resistance NOT continuity. Continuity is a measurement of electrical consistancy: for example, a light bulb may be tested with a VOM by checking to see that it has a functional fillament. Meters may be either analog or digital: both have a definite purpose but either will work in your application

A 12 volt power source may be easily be drawn from the vehicle's battery or any other by using jumper wires. Remember to observe the correct polaity.

SD,

Didn't you do a thread on using a multileter? I seem to remember you doing one. I tried searching but it must be gone, or I am remebering wrong

gp001 said:
SD,

Didn't you do a thread on using a multileter? I seem to remember you doing one. I tried searching but it must be gone, or I am remebering wrong

GP: I have often made reference to multimeters but have never written a thread specifically on their operation. A multimeter is only as useful as the user's knowledge of the electrical fundamentals upon which they operate. I learned much of what I know from my high school physics teacher and reading and applying a book from Radio Shack.

A meter has thousands of automotive applications as well as around the house. I've repaired our hot water heater, the Christmas lights, oven, etc. I have both analog and digital meters and consider them one of my most useful diagnostic tools.

SuperDave said:
GP: I have often made reference to multimeters but have never written a thread specifically on their operation.

OK. I must have remembered wrong. I know someone started one and we had a lot of good discussion in it. I remember because I took pics of my meter setup for different readings to help someone with their questions.

Good to see you posting again SD

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a whirl, hopefully before the next snow!

I actually think I have that book from Radio Shack around here somewhere, I just can't find it. Is it called "Using Your Meter"? That's what I remember, anyway. Haven't seen it in a while (obviously) :nonono: