Vortech 5.0 With Overheating Problem

Coby Barefoot

Jul 30, 2017
I have a 95 gt with a vortech supercharger 4lbs of boost cobra injectors and maf , vortech boost management system with boost retard e303 cam 8mm ngk wires and distributer , not sure of the timing 3 core aluminum radiator dual fans 180 stat . And on my autometer gauge the car gets up to about 230 no matter the temperature outside or how you drive the car any help or ideas why it's running so warm

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Coby, welcome to Stangnet

I'm going to move your thread to the '79-'95 tech subforum, you'll get help there

I'm also going to change your title a little bit just to attract our supercharged guys.

Good to have you with us.

4# of boost is nothing but it will add underhood and intake temps
what fans are you running
what thermostat are you running
do you have an underdrive water pump pulley
Does it overheat at idle, on the highway
You need to check the timing- it should be 10 BTDC with the spout out

4# of boost is nothing but it will add underhood and intake temps
what fans are you running
what thermostat are you running
Does it overheat at idle, on the highway
You need to check the timing- it should be 10 BTDC with the spout out

I'm not sure of the name brand of the fans but there dual fans running all the time ,I've only had the car a month ..I just put a Mr gasket 180 stat in it , also not sure on the pulleys either but from a cold start the car heats up normal after reaching 180f it stays there for about 5 mins at idle then it will start going over towards 200 , as for stop and go driving it will run about 220 i have even seen it at 230 and I shut it off these temps are off the autometer temp gauge

I'm not sure of the name brand of the fans but there dual fans running all the time ,I've only had the car a month ..I just put a Mr gasket 180 stat in it , also not sure on the pulleys either but from a cold start the car heats up normal after reaching 180f it stays there for about 5 mins at idle then it will start going over towards 200 , as for stop and go driving it will run about 220 i have even seen it at 230 and I shut it off these temps are off the autometer temp gauge

cant help you much if you cant answer my questions
You need to know how many CFM's the fans pull
Which way did you have the spring on the thermostat facing
did you make sure you burped all the air out of the system

cant help you much if you cant answer my questions
You need to know how many CFM's the fans pull,? I'll go out in the morning and check to see if I can find any info on the radiator and fans and let you know..
Which way did you have the spring on the thermostat facing,? the stat had markings in it saying this side towards engine , this side towards radiator , which way is the spring supposed to be facing?
do you have an underdrive water pump pulley, I've only had the car about a month so I'm not sure on the pulleys is there a way to check them ,,?
did you make sure you burped all the air out of the system pretty sure I did but it's there a way to check this also? ,