w4ho computer/gear issues

95GTV8

Jul 25, 2005
Washington State
i was talking with my friend who used to race camaros, he did it for a while, and he was telling me about the 1st time he raced an 88 iroc with the computer in it, he told me that when he was switching gears to 3.73's he only got 4 tenths of a second off, and that he knew something was wrong. He said the computer on the camaro didn't really recognize the new gears, and he had to get a handheld tuner and fix it. Im wondering if any of you guys have experienced this with mustangs? i have a 95 gt, and i want to get some FRPP 3.73 gears installed, and the install costs are allready pretty steep, don't want to have to the buy the handheld tuner now, i would down the road, but don't quite got the $ now.

EDIT: My car is a 5sp manual!

• Sponsors (?)

no, im not talking speedo, you know if you have an AODE car, it still thinks you have the higher gears, so it doens't shift correctly, but since mines a 5 speed it shouldn't matter because i control when i shift, i just wanted to clear this up before i chat with him tomorrow! thank you though, i was hoping their was no comp tweeking i've had to do for just a gear install.

Well the only thing I can think of is maybe he is refering to altering the shift points. Irocs for the most part come with automatics. Saying that the car does not recognize the gears isn't quite accurate. The computer determines when the car shifts to the next gear. So a chip or hand held controller will allow you to delay how fast the car shifts. This combined with rear end gears will greatly improve acceleration, for an automatic.

If your car is a stick, than the above scenario goes out the window because you determine when you shift. You can put whatever gear you want and the computer doesn't come into play.

allright, i think he misheard when i told him manual, cuz he asked me and i said manual and then he said o ****, then in that case you need to work on the computer etc. Ty for clearing this up i just want to have my ass covered before i make this purchase.

first off an 88 iroc had a 700r4 which was not controlled by the computer. second off 4 tenths from a gear swap is normal. third an 88 iroc had a removeable eprom, and to the best of my knowledge there is no hand held programmer available. if you are taking advise from this guy as to how to spend your money you may want to think twice.

A W4H0 is an AODE computer and if it's used with a 5 speed you really need a chip to turn off auto functions or the computer gets really confused expectiong input from the tranny. If the car DOES have an AODE all shift points will be off by 20% or so without a chip. Handheld tuners are bot an option for any EEC IV.