Want to widen my rear wheels.. How much?

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
I know this question has been beaten to death but how far can you widen the rear wheels... Im thinking of selling my slicks and just putting some good DR's on some nice WIDE rear wheels... This would be on my Mach 1's.

Or i have another option... I have my stock 17 tri bars still... How about a gloss black powder coat on them and have all four widened... The rear widend much more of coarse...

Can i get more then 10.5 out of the rear... The wider the better but i do not want an open wheel car.. lol

Any specifics would be great... Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

you should be able to get 10.5, but you may need to flip the shock and move your exhaust. At least from what i've heard. don't go much bigger though, or you'll be cutting things out. A little fab, and you're all good. I have a friend that is lowering his truck and actually just extended his whole wheel well. You could do something like that if you really want it

Check with guys with torque thrust II's for backspacing/offset as they come in 11's that fit under our cars. Wide mach's would be cool, and they would be easier to sell if you ever decide to than widened stock wheels.

it is going to run at least 100+ a wheel (cant remember the cost right off hand, i think its closer to 200/ea if you dont supply another wheel for the extra width), plus since they add the width to the inside, it adds all that to the backspace, so you will require spacers which is another ~150 right there. its not a cheap way of getting wide wheels

I think someone on this board had theirs done by weldcraft a while back . I think it was like $380 + shipping for the two rears for an extra two inches for something like that. I'd do a search on the forum you ought to be able to find a bunch of information.

I guess the shock is mounted to the outside of a piece of metal, and basically you flip it around to the inside of the car, which should give you a little bit of clearance. Although, i haven't looked at it myself, i heard the next thing you're going to hit is the exhaust. You can even see it sitting there. I haven't really had the wheels off of my car or looked at much in the rear end yet, i've only had the car for about 9 months now, so bear with me, i'm going a bit on hear-say.

he is talking about if you have chrome rims and have them cut and widened, will the added piece be re-chromed. and flipping the quads just mean flipping it end over end so the shaft would be where the rim/tire is instead of the shock body

i wasn't talking about the shocks. i was taling about the rim, whether they are crome or not. if they cut the rim and then add material, then the finish on the inner side of the rim will not match. also, is there weld strips visible on the inside, i can see in the pics that there are on the outside (under the tire)?

Alright i just got off the phone with them... They said it would be 185 dollars per wheel up to 4 inches... That is pretty high and that doesn't include wheel spacers. Im bidding on some new wheels now that come 10.5 in the rear... So we will see...

He said all the measuring and stuff would be up to me on how wide i could go and what i would need to do to make it fit correctly...