Roush Wanting one real bad..

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
My wife and I have just gotten through looking at a 07 s281 vert and I must say I want one almost as bad as she does. My questions are these.... does 67,596.00 sound about right or a little high for one that is supercharged and also on the insurance side what are they listed as? My carrier couldnt find a listing for either a Saleen s281 or a mustang Saleen s281

Thanks,
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

Not to be a smart ass, but $67,600 sounds a "little high" for any new Mustang, Saleen or otherwise. :eek:

Seriously, regarding insurance, it may be doubtful that most common carriers would have a listing for a Saleen Mustang since it is a non-factory, specialty vehicle. You would have to educate your insurance agent on what is a Saleen & then he/she would have to determine if your carrier would provide a policy for it. They might refer to the NADA information wherein Saleens are listed separately as used cars, but I'm unsure if they also list them as new.

I know in the case of the Saleen I purchased new in 1989, I insured it as a regular 5.0 Mustang because I didn't want to pay the outrageous premiums I anticipated the carrier would charge if they actually knew what it was. I assumed that risk & fortunately never had to file a claim. However, now with the purchase of my '98 Saleen as a used vehicle, my carrier recognized a Saleen as a specialty vehicle & offered an affordable policy since it is not a daily driven vehicle.

I'm sure that there are new Saleen owners on this site that could provide information on how they successfully insured their vehicles.

Find a new 06 non supercharged car. If you go to Saleen.com and look in the dealer locator you can find a good list of Saleen dealers.

Dealers are giving away 06 non supercharged cars for under $38k. Then spend under 5k on the blower and a couple of thousand on the hood and wing. Save for the brakes later.

Good choice on the SC convertible:) . I've got an '06 and I think it's just about the perfect modern muscle car. Just from my own observations, it seems like Saleen produces a fairly small number of supercharged verts compared to the supercharged coupes and the n/a verts and coupes. Out of about ~1,550 '06 S281s that Saleen made, I'd guess less than 200 were supercharged verts.

Getting A Good Deal:
I'd say you have 3 ways to go.
1. A DIY S281 SC --
If you're going to mod your car and don't care about factory warranties or whether your car might possibly retain a higher re-sale value, then I would completely agree with Marcus95. Buying a N/A S281 and installing a Saleen (or other) supercharger is the cheaper way to go.

2. A New Factory-Produced SC --
If you want to retain your warranty and/or have a "true" supercharged Saleen (whatever that means and for whatever it is worth), then you have to buy a Saleen produced S281 SC.

A new '06 SC Convertible will cost you a lot less (you might save $10k+). BUT, if you want a 465hp car with a full warranty and a safely tuned engine, you have to buy an '07model. The '06 Saleen (which is what I own) is factory tuned to 435 hp, and many owners have dynoed their 435hp stock engines and discovered dangerously lean A/F ratios (13.0 and higher). You can get the 475hp upgrade kit from Saleen, which has a safer tune (A/F of 12.0 or less), but then you possibly void your warranty on the engine. This makes no sense whatsoever, but that's how Saleen is playing it. The '07 Saleens also give you a longer Ford factory warranty on the non-modified parts of your drivetrain, since '07 Fords have a 60-month drivetrain warranty, instead of a 36-month warranty.

If you can wait until September or October, the '07s SC convertibles will be much cheaper (perhaps $10k less) because the '08s will be hitting the floors right around then.

3. A Used Factory-Produced S281 SC --
You may notice that you can usually find on Ebay or performanceautosport.com a handful of almost-new used Saleens with very, very low mileage (less than 5k miles, and sometimes less than 6 months old). For instance:
http://performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5860

Insurance:
You need to get a "stated value" policy (where you declare the value of your car to establish the replacement value). I know Chubb and Farmers provide such coverage (at least in California), because I obtained quotes from both (Chubb being far more expensive). If you do not get a stated value policy, the insurer will simply type the VIN into their computer system, and your Saleen will come up as a Mustang GT. This will cost you a lot less, but if you insure the car as a Mustang GT, you will not get paid on the value of your Saleen if it's wrecked. Instead, you'll get paid the value of a used Mustang GT, which is substantially less than the value of a used Saleen.

Wow, I'm happy I type fast...

68 grand?
No way in hell, i agree with marcus, find something NA leftover or used. I'd budget a few more dollars in for the supercharger than he suggests though, figure the kit to be 5g's, and install+custom tune to be at least another $2500.

I thought that was kinda like ripping me a new hole or something. I was just wanting to get some feedback from some true saleen owners. With me it doesn't really matter but I promised my wife that for being the first one to graduate college in her family (she is 37 and she has quite a few aunts and uncles with kids to contend with) that I would find a way to get her what she wants. She was leaning towards the premium Gt vert until I shower her the Saleens and that is what she wants. I just cant see paying that when I could get a Shelby for less.

Nate

I thought that was kinda like ripping me a new hole or something. I was just wanting to get some feedback from some true saleen owners.

67k is high for an S281 SC vert. You can config one that high probably. Really depends on the options you want.

The Saleen website has a nice msrp quote form on it. Check it out at http://www.saleen.com/s281_sc_convt_msrp.htm

I'd look for a 2006 s281 3valve vert and slap the supercharger on it yourself though. Dealers want to get rid of the 06 so you can get a good deal.

Nate,

I hope you didn't think we were "ripping you a new hole" or something. I think we thought that is what the dealer was doing to you.

Just take Bombs and my advise and save yourself 15k and by a non supercharged car and bolt the blower on. It's the same car minus brakes.

I thought about the Roush but so they hold the same value as a Saleen? Also I havent looked them up yet but is that a dealer car (like the Saleens, you can go to the local Ford dealer and buy one) or is this something that I have to buy and then ship to Roush or just go to a Roush specific dealer to purchase?

Nate