Warped Crankshaft?

9musTang9er

Jun 8, 2005
MA
A good friend of mine has a 2000 GT, stopped by last night after he got his new pullies and told me to look at the crank pully while the car is running, so i do and i see it moving all over the place but its bolted up tight and to boot its a new FoMoCo crank pully. i ask him what the h*ll? tells me BBK pullies (the crank stripped out) did this? is his bottom end forever warped:shrug: ???

• Sponsors (?)

it could be, but seriouly, u gotta do your hw even before you do a "simple" pulley install which could turn into a nightmare as it almost did for me.. some of u guys might remember that (stripped crank bolt hole badly)

I do not have a problem with factory installed pullies or pullies installed by a skilled mechanic who knows Mustangs.

For some reason pullies are never taken seriously and people just f'n slap them on without doing the proper research.

Here is a TSB for your reading pleasure:
Some 1996-2001 Mustang owners, for engine performance purposes, are adding a special front drive pulley kit to reduce front accessory drive speeds. When removing and replacing the crank pulley, if the large bolt used to hold the crank pulley under torqued, the keyway will shear and cause major engine damage. The resulting engine damage is not warrantable. If the crankshaft pulley bolt is removed it should be replaced as it is a torque to yield bolt. The installation of the crankshaft pulley requires that a specific torque operation be adhered to. The crankshaft pulley bolt must be installed using these 4 steps: 1) Torque to 75 lbs/ft 2) Back out one turn 3) torque to 45 lb?ft 4) continue to tighten and additional 90 degrees.

its really easy. all the specs sound like alot, but i dont know how anybody could mess it up. if you UNDERSTAND why you do all those specs, its nothing. reason for the longer installation bolt to be torqued real high is to fully sit the pulley on the crank, than you back it out and switch the bolt and torque her down.

dont need to be a skilled mustang mechanic by any means

whoops.. double piece