Weight difference between Cobra and GT-40 upper intake??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Anyone have one of these sitting around they can weigh. All the ads i read claim the Gt-40 weighs 8 pounds less than a production cast intake. I wonder how true this is.

If it is true....i may have to look for a used Gt-40 upper then....gonna need it when i upgrade my heads (still undecided)

• Sponsors (?)

8 pounds is definately in the neighborhood. My gt40 is on the car already but I've held them both plenty. The cobra is made of cast aluminum, so there is a LOT of excess material, it's very thick. The gt40 is all tubular/sheet metal and weighs NOTHING. It's a night and day difference if you were to pick them both up.

On the other hand, is 8-10 pounds really worth dropping the $ on? The only other benefit I can think of is the runners are smooth inside since there's no casting flash like on the cobra. Not sure of the flow numbers of the uppers.

jb89coupe said:
On the other hand, is 8-10 pounds really worth dropping the $ on? The only other benefit I can think of is the runners are smooth inside since there's no casting flash like on the cobra. Not sure of the flow numbers of the uppers.

Well i am looking at weight differences as a secondary benefit. I'm really more interested in the performance increase of switching my Cobra upper intake to a GT-40.

I'm sure i can pick up a used upper if i look around.