Welder Question

• Sponsors (?)

Out of curiosity. what size bottle are people using for their shielding gas and how much do you roughly pay to fill/lease your tank? I live in Maryland and have an older bottle thats about 4' tall, but have been told that most companies will not fill that size bottle if its not leased directly through them or purchased out right through them. Trying to get an idea of how much i would be looking to spend so i can plan accordingly

Looking into buying gas, and I remembered a new Tractor Supply just opened (first one in my area).
With their sale, and a $5 coupon code, I can get a 20 cu ft. of C25 for about $125.
I havnt checked prices at Airgas, but I’m assuming Tractor Supply would be cheaper. Just wondering if I’m doing ok at $125 for that size bottle.

Looking into buying gas, and I remembered a new Tractor Supply just opened (first one in my area).
With their sale, and a $5 coupon code, I can get a 20 cu ft. of C25 for about $125.
I havnt checked prices at Airgas, but I’m assuming Tractor Supply would be cheaper. Just wondering if I’m doing ok at $125 for that size bottle.
I’m assuming that’s with the price of the bottle too, right?

sounds expensive to me, i think the refills on my 40cf? bottle are only like $40, and i bought the bottle for i think $90 or so on the first fill (been a few years). dont know if tsc refills them or not, nor do i know if any of the gas companies will use someone elses bottle. either way, a 20cf bottle wont last long at all, a 40cf doesnt even last a full spool of wire for me.

Around here a new 40 bottle filled is about $300. The refills are not bad, but the tanks are expensive. The guy at our local store told me to find one used that had no rust, oitting or dents and he would certify it for $20. I bought a full 40 bottle of craigslist for $200. Haven't had to have it filled yet.

Joe

Bumping this up. I need a welder to patch up my frame rails. My efforts to borrow one have resulted in subpar machines.

So now I might just buy a machine. I figure I could definitely mAke use of it for other projects.

I think the metal is 0.090” thick, although I might as well tackle my SFCs one day.

I’ve heard to stay away from flux core for thin sheet metal work due to burn through. Any validity to this?

Haven’t quite wired my garage up for 220v so stuck with a 15A 120 plug although I could slap in a 20A plug pretty quickly if needed.

If I go mig, I’ll need the bottle as well.

Any recommendations?

All I can say is :nono: to the flux core, unless you are welding outside where a breeze effects the gas.
This, of coarse is not based on any actual welding knowledge, the most I've done is to glue wear pads to the lift arms on the dump truck and nobody cares what they look like just that they stick.

I was thinking of a machine like this. Does both, runs on 120v, not overly expensive and should do what I need to do

83BAA4AC-ECBF-4114-BD89-C17F8F9D606B.png

Having no welding experience at all, I purchased the MIG 135 from Eastwood. It’s very similar to that Hobart, which I was looking at also. I went with the cheaper one after reading and re-reading all the reviews.

I did run a 20amp circuit to use it on, and so far, I’ve loved the machine. Other than my own lack of skills getting in the way, it has performed as advertised.

I have a Lincoln 135HD mig, 120v I had it over 10 years...I got and use gas bottle... never even bothered to try it in flux core mode.. I've fixed my frame rails with it...and torque box re-enforcements. I'm no expert welder but I've learned and fixed a few things in those 10 years.. I hope/plan to do my SFC's this summer..

So your saying something like this would probably get the job done for me.

A29C285B-6717-40D7-B47A-5BF66E9A0677.jpeg
It's worked for me. I have the next one up from there. The freaking thing had major shipping damage when it arrived ( looked like it had fallen from 6 feet.) The whole case was deformed when the heavy ass power supply had tried to go through the bottom of the case floor. I called Lotos, and told them that I was gonna try and fix it, but to be advised that had happened. I took the thing apart, beat the hell out of it to get it back straight again. Put it back together, and turned it on. It has been working since.
A 140 welder will do anything required on a car. Ill say this about the Chinee welder.

It's 200.00 cheaper than the comparable domestic version. The gun, and the clamp, is noticeably cheaper than the ones on the American units. But, if you expect that, the thing works just as well.

I was expecting to replace the clamp anyway. Every eBay review has shown weld improvemt when changing out the ground clamp.

I figure if it gets my frame rail repair done, anything else is a bonus. I might even try my SFCs

Beyond that, kiddos want me to build them a go kart at some point.

Bumping this up. I need a welder to patch up my frame rails. My efforts to borrow one have resulted in subpar machines.

So now I might just buy a machine. I figure I could definitely mAke use of it for other projects.

I think the metal is 0.090” thick, although I might as well tackle my SFCs one day.

I’ve heard to stay away from flux core for thin sheet metal work due to burn through. Any validity to this?

Haven’t quite wired my garage up for 220v so stuck with a 15A 120 plug although I could slap in a 20A plug pretty quickly if needed.

The flux core can burn holes in very thin metal, and cheap metal. I flux core welded for years with a Lincoln Weldpack. I just converted it to a Mig. I don't think the shielding gas made it much better. If you are a Novice, buy a name brand machine. I would never even consider buying a Chinese welder. If you get a bad unit, you won't know if it's you doing something wrong, or the machine is bad.

Instead of buying the gas at Tractor supply or Harbor Freight, try a local welding supplier first. I paid for the bottle once, and when it's empty, I go in an pay a $25 fee to swap out for a full bottle. They keep up with bottle inspection and all that. It's more economical in the long run.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users