Welding The Seams At Thetorque Boxes - What Should I Disconnect Before Welding?

1200gt

Nov 29, 1999
I got everything pulled out and finally getting around to the welding on my 86 vert. Going to be welding the seams at the Torque Boxes and doing the lower plates. I remember someone mentioning disconnecting the ECC before welding on the car but this didn't make a lot of sense to me because the muffler shops don't disconnect the ECC before welding... what should I be careful of????

Next on the welding list are the Subframe Connectors. I'm looking to get my mind around the process of removing the four riveted plates on verts to prep for this job. I think I'll let a pro do those but I'd like to do the plate removal stuff myself. Mikestang sent me a link from MM that I need to look at.....

• Sponsors (?)

Folks disconnect the EEC for the possibility of stray voltage. Not a bad practice. It's kind of rare but I've heard of EECs getting the short end of that stick before (get it? stick? welding? :hide: ).

@Noobz347 has all the jokes today!

Seriously though, It never hurts to at the very least disconnect the battery but the safe bet is disconnecting the ecu as well. I worked in a muffler shop for many of years and never once fried a car welding on it and never took any precautions. Now was that the smartest thing to do, no but that's how I was "taught". You are talking about doing a considerable amount of welding on the car so my opinion is take a few minutes and just unplug the ecu and battery. Before I do any welding on my car, the ecu is unplugged along with the digital dash and msd box. Too many electronics to risk worth frying...

@Noobz347 has all the jokes today!

Seriously though, It never hurts to at the very least disconnect the battery but the safe bet is disconnecting the ecu as well. I worked in a muffler shop for many of years and never once fried a car welding on it and never took any precautions. Now was that the smartest thing to do, no but that's how I was "taught". You are talking about doing a considerable amount of welding on the car so my opinion is take a few minutes and just unplug the ecu and battery. Before I do any welding on my car, the ecu is unplugged along with the digital dash and msd box. Too many electronics to risk worth frying...

I know about @Noobz347, What do you expect from a guy who lives in a "Box behind Walmart!" :lol: Every time I read that it cracks me up.

Yeah, I thought I had read these tips somewhere but just wanted to be for sure - for sure! When you mention digital dash, I assume you have an aftermarket dash setup??? I still have the stock cluster.

BTW, thanks to you both for the help!