Welp, the shaker is out.......

mustang70

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
San Diego
I emailed Grice, the guy that has the fordramair website, and he said, "A Victor Jr. and a shaker will never live on the same Mustang. I didn't realize how much taller the Victor Jr. is. I really wanted that shaker too. I was thinking of trying a Torker set up, but I've heard they're not much better then a dual plane set up. I guess there's always the Boss 9 scoop.

• Sponsors (?)

mustang70 said:
I emailed Grice, the guy that has the fordramair website, and he said, "A Victor Jr. and a shaker will never live on the same Mustang. I didn't realize how much taller the Victor Jr. is. I really wanted that shaker too. I was thinking of trying a Torker set up, but I've heard they're not much better then a dual plane set up. I guess there's always the Boss 9 scoop.

YABUT, the Boss don't SHAKE :D

I had a Torker on a trans am with a shaker. The Torker was actually a little shorter than the factory manifold. I agree, the Torker is not much better than an RPM. Maybe a Weiend Stealth?

I don't have the manifold yet. Maybe someone with one can get some measurements. I was thinking of cutting the base so that the part that rests on the carb can be raised. This would lower the rest of the assembly, I would just have to see what kind of interference I would have with everything else. Throttle linkage, distributor, etc.

mustang70 said:
I don't have the manifold yet. Maybe someone with one can get some measurements. I was thinking of cutting the base so that the part that rests on the carb can be raised. This would lower the rest of the assembly, I would just have to see what kind of interference I would have with everything else. Throttle linkage, distributor, etc.

I was thinking of lowering it at the inside of the airfilter flat. that way it should clear all your linkage.

I don't know what the differences are, but I put an edlebrock carb on my 70 with the windsor and the airfilter was catching the throttle linkeage so I made a 1" adapter for the carb throat and it still clears the hood. What engine do you have?

mustang70 said:
I have a 351 Windsor. Do you have any pics of your set up?

I just went to Edelbrocks site, and your manifold average hight is only 1.75 inches higher than my Performer, and I lifted my air filter 1 inch, so your setup should only be .75 inches higher than mine. I don't know what teh stock manifold measures if someone could measure a stock manifold we would be sure.

Hack said:
No one has mentioned lowering the engine. Is it so difficult that it shouldn't even be considered?

Lowered engine=lowered tranny=lowered headers...none of which I want to deal with. It's easier to modify the bottom of an air cleaner then move an engine and tranny. At least in my opinion.

mustang70 said:
Lowered engine=lowered tranny=lowered headers...none of which I want to deal with. It's easier to modify the bottom of an air cleaner then move an engine and tranny. At least in my opinion.

OK, this is what I got, the manifold you want to use is 2.5 inches higher than stock. I don't have a shaker to play with, but I did do a search for pix and it looks like there is room to play with, not sure if we can get rid of 2.5, but it is possible.

Do you have a shaker you can play with? Right now I don't have anyone locally that has one I can look at. But I'll keep my eyes open.

PS; Just had another thought, you could get the shaker with any engine, I wonder if the 428 is a shorter shaker?

Something I was wondering is if the base between a standard air cleaner and a shaker is different? If it's the same, I have a base from a 302 I can play with. I don't know anyone with a shaker. I'm pretty much going into this blind. Thank you for the help.

I have a shaker at home and there is no way you could take 2.5" of height out of my base. That would put the air cleaner lid projecting out of the hood. On shaker setups there is adjustment built in for left to right and front to back movement along the horizontal plane but nothing for vertical movement. To compensate for a taller intake you would have to cut the base and bring the air cleaner lid closer to the shaker. Using this method (which would be difficult) I don't see that you could possibly get more than an inch. I'd much rather simply change my intake manifold. Anyway I hope that helps.

d

dmoody said:
I have a shaker at home and there is no way you could take 2.5" of height out of my base. That would put the air cleaner lid projecting out of the hood. On shaker setups there is adjustment built in for left to right and front to back movement along the horizontal plane but nothing for vertical movement. To compensate for a taller intake you would have to cut the base and bring the air cleaner lid closer to the shaker. Using this method (which would be difficult) I don't see that you could possibly get more than an inch. I'd much rather simply change my intake manifold. Anyway I hope that helps.

d

Can you give me a measurement from the bottom of the actual scoop to the top of the filter can?

You are not giving the Torker intake enough credit.
Take it from experience, the Torkers are much more than just a Performer RPM wannabe.
The 351w version is only about an inch taller than stock manifold, if that.
Torker keeps bottom end as compared to Victor, but blows RPM away after 3k rpm or so.
IMO, Victor will only improve on the Torker slightly, after 4k rpm, then blow Torker away after 6-7k. Are you really needing that much rpm?
Dave

ratio411 said:
You are not giving the Torker intake enough credit.
Take it from experience, the Torkers are much more than just a Performer RPM wannabe.
The 351w version is only about an inch taller than stock manifold, if that.
Torker keeps bottom end as compared to Victor, but blows RPM away after 3k rpm or so.
IMO, Victor will only improve on the Torker slightly, after 4k rpm, then blow Torker away after 6-7k. Are you really needing that much rpm?
Dave

I'm hoping to have all the power in by 6K. It's just a matter of cubic inches. I'm sure the torker does great on a 351, but what about a 427?

I don't want a cowl hood. It's not the look I want. This is why they call it hot rodding.;)

SadbutTrue said:
i would try to use an Air Gap RPM or Torker. The Air Gap uses some technology from the Victor, so it might be perfect. The Torker does too, so it'd be between them. i wouldn't sacrifice the shaker if its at all possible.
The Air Gap for the W is VERY tall if memory serves.
More than RPM and close to Victor.
The Torker is nearly stock height.
Dave