Welp, the shaker is out.......

well, i'm pretty sure that the air gap, while tall, is still a bit shorter than the Victor, which means he has another option.

He could shave a half inch (or whole inch, if theres enough material) off the top of the Air Gap and have it fit, not so sure of that with a Victor.

You can also port the intakes and gasket match them to the heads for a little more flow. Or you can put a spacer on the Torker to make it a bit more of a highrise (if its close to stock height as Ratio suggests). You're looking at a ton of power either way. The Shaker is one of the cooler things ever done toa mustang, I would go to some length to keep it (just me though).

• Sponsors (?)

I am going through the same delima for my 393 on my 70 Mach. Look into using a big block base. They sat lower for the taller big block intakes. I too will be building blind. I am not sure it will work. I think I will stay with the AFR 185's and Weiand Stealth intake. I think the combo will make enough HP and torque to be satisfied. I am willing to give up some HP for the shaker.

wickedmach1 said:
I am going through the same delima for my 393 on my 70 Mach. Look into using a big block base. They sat lower for the taller big block intakes. I too will be building blind. I am not sure it will work. I think I will stay with the AFR 185's and Weiand Stealth intake. I think the combo will make enough HP and torque to be satisfied. I am willing to give up some HP for the shaker.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing as far as the horsepower. I think the coolness of the shaker makes up for the loss in power. I think I'm going to go with the Torker. I would run a dual plane, but I want to kill some low end torque. Otherwise I would probably be going through tires way too quickly.

Hey Gram....how tall is your Air Gap?

mustang70 said:
Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing as far as the horsepower. I think the coolness of the shaker makes up for the loss in power. I think I'm going to go with the Torker. I would run a dual plane, but I want to kill some low end torque. Otherwise I would probably be going through tires way too quickly.

Edelbrocks page has all the dimentions.

mustang70 said:

From the bottom of the manifold to the top of the carb base, it's 5.31" at the front, and 6.19" at the back.

:D

Hope that helps.

Gram

How bout this option, get a stealth or RPM and have the dual plane plate milled down to make it act more like a single plane. Im curious how this works out cause its almost exactly the combo i want.

sg465 said:
How bout this option, get a stealth or RPM and have the dual plane plate milled down to make it act more like a single plane. Im curious how this works out cause its almost exactly the combo i want.

I've heard about doing something like that before. Does it really work though?

yea it does work, Im surfing now looking for the article, Im pretty sure it was CarCraft where I seen it. to me it seems like the best option, for us who would sacrifice power for the shaker. Its almost free power and better than chopping into a $500 shaker!

Why cut an RPM into a single plane when the Torker is a single plane and the right height?
Seems like back-tracking to me.
A dual plane intake can benefit up top, at the expensive of bottom, with a milled divider, but it still won't be as effiecient as a single plane due to the compromises in the runner shape/direction that were needed to make it a dual plane to begin with.
No flame... just observation.

The Torker starts off short for hood clearance, then Edelbrock expressly recommends that you use the tallest spacer you can on it with your hood clearance, "for best results".
Dave

Totally understand the HP advantage of the torker and have thought alot about it. With the 185s instead of 205s a RPM or stealth seems more beneficial on the street even if milled. Seen alot of proven 393s with the RPM but not much with tthe torker i guess

hust so you guys know the rpm air gap already comes with the divider milled down some although not al the way, there was a trick that used to be done in the 70's and 80's where only the rear of the plenum divider under the secondaries was milled down, generally it would be milled down about 3/4" or so and 1.5" lengthwise so that when you were only using the primaries the "notch" wasn't really doing much but when the secondaries opened up it acted like a single plane intake, kind of the best of both worlds so to speak. for my stock stroke 351w i will be doing this mod as well as port matching the intake ports on my c90x ford power parts aluminum intake, the same intake as the 69 gt-350's used but with ford lettering instead of the shelby lettering. boy i bet that is gonna piss of some purists :D

dolfan87 said:
My air gap didn't come with any notch in it.

really? all the pics i have seen of them have the notch, then again i'm always looking at the pics in the magazine ads so they are mostly small block chevy's in the ads. i wonder they would use the notch on the chevy's and not the fords? oh well my mistake :nonono: i'll try not to let that happen again :nice:

bnickel said:
really? all the pics i have seen of them have the notch, then again i'm always looking at the pics in the magazine ads so they are mostly small block chevy's in the ads. i wonder they would use the notch on the chevy's and not the fords? oh well my mistake :nonono: i'll try not to let that happen again :nice:

Oh come on now bnickel, you know they need to do that on the Chevy's so they can even keep up with the Fords.

If they put the notch in the Ford manifolds, then the truth would come out; Fords rule. ;)

No worries mate, we all do it.

dolfan87 said:
Oh come on now bnickel, you know they need to do that on the Chevy's so they can even keep up with the Fords.

If they put the notch in the Ford manifolds, then the truth would come out; Fords rule. ;)

No worries mate, we all do it.

yeah, if we cut the notch in your air-gap we could prove it too :D