What are the signs of a worn or burnt clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

if it slips change it, you don't need to look at it, don't replace with anything but new.

A good test is to put it in 5th gear, set the e-brake and let the clutch out as you press the gas to the floor. you should kill the motor, if it stays running, you got trouble.

I took my car in for the 1-2 grind notchy shifting and mentioned the TSB for the fix. They are trying to say it is a worn or burnt clutch.... that is why it has the grind and notchy feeling (WHATEVER)... Oh by the way did I mention it is a 01 cobra with under 13k miles. ya my clutch is worn to nothing... and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

01LaserRedCobra said:
I took my car in for the 1-2 grind notchy shifting and mentioned the TSB for the fix. They are trying to say it is a worn or burnt clutch.... that is why it has the grind and notchy feeling (WHATEVER)... Oh by the way did I mention it is a 01 cobra with under 13k miles. ya my clutch is worn to nothing... and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Take pictures of the monkeys.

Dont know about the clutch being worn and making the shifts notchty.... but I just had a SPEC II put in mine and the factory quadrant wouldn't adjust correctly to the new clutch. Made my car extremely hard to shift(notchy). Put in a steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant the car shifts life a knife sliding through butter.
-Jon

merc123 said:
Ridges? Say like on a warped rotor you can run your finger along it and feel it where it is warped. That's my guess would be one way.

Of course, in order to actually touch the clutch, you would have to already have the car torn apart sufficiently to change the clutch. No labor savings at that point.

Often times the car will slip when the motor is under heavy load (going uphill in a high gear). When the RPMs are going up and the speed is going down, you've had it. The 'motor kill' test described above simulates a similar situation.

merc123 said:
Ridges? Say like on a warped rotor you can run your finger along it and feel it where it is warped. That's my guess would be one way.

Of course, in order to actually touch the clutch, you would have to already have the car torn apart sufficiently to change the clutch. No labor savings at that point.

Often times the car will slip when the motor is under heavy load (going uphill in a high gear). When the RPMs are going up and the speed is going down, you've had it. The 'motor kill' test described above simulates a similar situation.