What axles did you use?

• Sponsors (?)

Truck differential is 31 spline, verse the Mustang being 28. The 31s are a bit stronger, and after snapping an axle with the 28 spline Ranger axles on ET Streets, I thought it best to upgrade.

I run antimoan brackets. My first trip up and down the road without them and it moaned, badly. Added them and it went away.

The fox length is narrower. This works with the staggered wheels, like the FR500s, Bullitts, etc... The SN95 length stuff moves the wheels out a bit, and looks better with 8-9" wide rims.

I will look into getting a the 31 spline diff and the anti-moan brackets, The whole rear end is due for an overhaul anyway.

I got lucky and found some m179's but this time around is fox axles, sn brackets and a 31sp diff.

Yes, the M179 rims are really hard to find. I have never seen one in person.

Thanks for the comment, Joe. I have 9" wheels with Ranger axles and no issues and are tucked under the fenders just right. I'm now preparing to do a rear disk conversion with SN95 calipers and Northern Racecar brackets.

Your welcome, the FR500's really set it off.

Yes, I do run staggered True Forged wheels. I chose to run Fox length axles to allow me to run a wheel with a lip. And no I do not run anti moan brackets, and have no issues.

That was my concern also. If I did go to a staggered set up I would want a wheel with a lip on it.

+1. I will also say that I used Yukon 28 spline Fox axles. May not be as beefy as 31s, but the Yukons side by side with a stock axle is a night and day difference. There is more material everywhere.

The conclusion I have come to based on replies is to go with the North Race car brackets and fox length axles to allow more wheel options in the future. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I will look into getting a the 31 spline diff and the anti-moan brackets, The whole rear end is due for an overhaul anyway.

Yes, the M179 rims are really hard to find. I have never seen one in person.

Your welcome, the FR500's really set it off.

That was my concern also. If I did go to a staggered set up I would want a wheel with a lip on it.

The conclusion I have come to based on replies is to go with the North Race car brackets and fox length axles to allow more wheel options in the future. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
I made the same choice, i want to run a dished fr500, well until i saw that everyone and there mother has them now. So i'm gonna try and change it up, but it will have a dish on it.

I've been trying to find some spare m179's for my race tires but cant. Last set i found the dude wanted 1200 and one of the rims was likely beyond repairable, i passed and they sold the next day. I figure for that money i'll buy some ccw's for the street and use my m179's for the track. Which i kind of hate to do since they're so clean.

If you run a sn axle have fun trying to fit a 9" rear. You'll want a 36mm offset at least to get them under the fenders, maybe 30mm but thats pushing it. They are difficult to find in anything but a bullit rim. I got lucky and found some m179's but this time around is fox axles, sn brackets and a 31sp diff.

The 93 cobra had the same axle width as SN95... using a +44mm offset.. aim for that..

I picked up 17x9 Bullitts (2005+ Mustang +45mm offset) they fit perfect on a fox with SN axles.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/18x9-gt4-black-2005.html
The GT4 in an 18 would be an option... 18x9 +40mm

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-oestyle-18x8-0511.html
The 2010 OE Style comes in an 18x8 +44mm

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-bravadoamericana-18x9-0512.html
The Bravado Americana II comes in a 18x9 +40mm

That's 4 options:shrug:

And they're all 18's. 17's are the max IMO.

And for the record, you're just reinforcing what i said. Cant go any less then a 30mm, s197 offset will fit fine, i think it looks kind of funny, and fitting fat meats will be a chore.

Why not 18's on the fox?

For me, I didn't want to spend the cash on tires... but ehh... I like 18's.. I imagine the GT4's would look nice on the fox.
found a pic... they do.
m5lp_1012_01_o+1991_ford_mustang_lx_hatchback_project_roadkill+passenger_rear_view.jpg

275/40-17 rears are big enough for the weak sauce power I make. :)