what different shortblocks fit a 96gt

I'm in need of a motor, but my question is what 4.6/5.4 will fit in my car. Meaning, what engines will bolt in without much modification. I need to know for instance will a 4.6 short block of a crown vic from such and such years, bolt in and work fine. Or a 5.4 F-150 blah, blah years work. I have a t45 for a trans and I'd like to keep the ported, polished heads and the rest of the mods. I just need to replace the shortblock. And if I was buying a short block I'd prefer a 5.4, but would it bolt up to my transmission. Would I need to buy the wire harness and other accessories.

• Sponsors (?)

The 4.6 and 5.4 Engine will all bolt right up w/ those engine mounts and K-member. The wiring may be different; for example 2v vs 4v. I put a Terminator shortblock in my car and it bolted right up to the T45. The 5.4 should bolt up as well. If you go w/ the bigger engine, there will be other modifications that need to be done. It will be a tight fit w/ the hood or it may not work at all. I think the main probs are w/ swapping a Lightning engine in there since they have the roots blower on it.

While your heads should bolt onto a 5.4 block, your intake will not. The 5.4 has a taller deck height, so your 4.6 intake won't work. This can be solved using a 5.4 intake, but it's designed more for truck use and not ideal for high rpm applications (not to mention the other issues with wiring and sensors).
Also, keep in mind that the brackets are different between the vehicles, I'm not sure if all the blocks retain the same bracket bolt pattern or not.