What do you all think? Question about racing stripes

GT98

Feb 7, 2003
Columbia, MD
I've been going back and forth with the idea of putting stripes on my stang. I've finally decided to go ahead and do it. But my question is what width? I'm debating between 10" and 12" stripes. I was planning on spacing them about an inch or so apart. Also, the only decent kit I've found only comes in a 15 foot roll; would that be enough to cover the entire car including the bumpers and spoiler (stock)? Anyone whos got pics, has done this before, or has any insight please help. I'm not very familiar with the subject. Thanks everyone

• Sponsors (?)

What color? White I hope (on Rio Red). I have a 98 too (Vert), no stripes but had it done on a '66 Coupe once. I kept them at 10". I would think 10" on 98 as it would be more forgiving, especially over the hood (and front bumper cover if you plan to go there, and you should!). As for a 15 foot roll, you better get at least two rolls if you're doing a pair of stripes. The top and hood alone will probably require about 8-9 feet for each stripe.

I'm definitely gonna go with white. The kit I found is 2 15 foot rolls so I can make the dual stripes (one roll per stripe). I plan on doing the entire car, bumpers and all since I think it looks stupid if the stripes stop right at the bumper. You don't think 15 feet will cover the car bumper to bumper?

GT98 said:
I'm definitely gonna go with white. The kit I found is 2 15 foot rolls so I can make the dual stripes (one roll per stripe). I plan on doing the entire car, bumpers and all since I think it looks stupid if the stripes stop right at the bumper. You don't think 15 feet will cover the car bumper to bumper?
2 Rolls for 2 stripes @ 15ft per roll, you'll probably have about a foot each to spare. You're right, you definitely should do the bumpers and all. I did that on my '66 (mine were painted on) years ago. Just don't rush it and take your time to make sure you measure twice or three times before cutting anything. Make real sure you have a very clean surface (you might want to use clay to clean) and wait until after you've got it right before polishing and/or waxing. Another tip, since you're using tape, I would run a little masking tape over the edges of the stripes before waxing it. Pull the tape off and then remove the wax, that way you don't get wax piled up next to your stripes. The main thing about white stripes is keeping them clean, especially up front with bugs/tar/debris/etc. With your stripes being tape, I would find a good effective cleaner to use to clean them (check and see what is recommended for tape). I had to use rubbing compound on my 'painted' stripes, a little rough but it did a good job. You'd probably need something like 409 or something. Good luck and please post a pic of your striped 'stang when you "Git 'er done!". I just might have to give my 98 a pair of 'em!
:nice:

I'm really just looking for some big stripes that'll help with the overall aggressiveness of the cars appearance. I noticed that 8 inch stripes seem to make the car look more narrow; whereas 10 and 12 inch stripes trick your eye into giving the car a wider more pronounced stance, which is exactly what I'm looking for. So I take it 10 inch stripes spaced about an inch apart will give me that look?