What do you guys do for a basic tune-up?

Dan95-5.0

Jun 14, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
As soon as i get my car out of storage (damn canadian winters) i'm going to install my mac catback :banana: and then do a full tune-up. I plan on doing the folllowing:
FMS wires
MSD coil
MSD cap and rotor
sparkplugs
check/adjust TPS
clean TB and MAF

the fuel filter has already been replaced so that won't have to be done again and i just put in a new K&N filter before i put i away.

i was curious what you guys do/did for a tune-up? also what plugs should i go use?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds good. I am a die hard Ford fan and try to use as many Motorsport/SVO/Motorcraft parts on my car as possible. I use motorcraft plugs. A lot of guys on here swear by Autolite, but the discounts I get on Ford products are ridiculous. As for the FMS wires, again, I love the wires, but they are way too long for a 302. You are going to have to cut them and "reboot" them to get them to fit nicely. I did that to mine and they look awesome. As long as you aren't using Champion spark plugs, I don't think there would be that much of a difference between them all. I wouldn't use Champions in my lawnmower. Just make sure you get the proper heat range for your application.

Joe

How many miles are on the ticker?

Sounds like you got pretty much everything covered from there on. There is another little $70 sensor that tends to go out on high mileage cars. But for the life of me I can't think of it. It's on the passenger fire wall in that metal box with the cooling fins on it. I think it's the TFI module?

VibrantRedGT said:
Joe doesn't Autolite make Motorcraft spark plugs? I'm almost positive they do. With stock heads use Autolite 25's gapped at .054. Ditch the FMS plug wire idea for MSD 8.5's.
I truely don't know. They might. They come in a Motorcraft box and it says nothing on the box or the plug about Autolite.

Joe

the car currently has 105,000 KM's (63000 miles).

whats wrong with the FMS wires? the MSD wires are pretty expensive but are worth the money. i'll probably go with the taylors if the FMS arent that good.

any experience with the NGK's?

thanks for the replys

94GTStang said:
How many miles are on the ticker?

Sounds like you got pretty much everything covered from there on. There is another little $70 sensor that tends to go out on high mileage cars. But for the life of me I can't think of it. It's on the passenger fire wall in that metal box with the cooling fins on it. I think it's the TFI module?

I think you're talking about the ignition control module. He shouldn't have to worry about that yet. If it goes out you'll know because your car will die and not start (you won't have any spark). I had to replace mine at 108k.
Your list is pretty comprehensive. I'd also flush the radiator.

Go with the Taylor wires over the FMS. I didn't see a difference in performance either way but the Taylors or even the MSD's will fit a lot better then the FMS. I would go with Motorcraft Double Platnums or Autolites. I personally run Autolites 24's but for my (and your) application I think the 25's that Vibrant suggested would be better.

Maybe change the oil? :shrug:

i flushed the rad a month before i put it away so that will be ok.

i'll add the Autolites 25's to the list

Steeda90GT : i totally foregot all those. i'll test the pcv before i change it. i'll check and bump the timing because the previous owner has receipts from the dealer saying it was at 10'. i also have a bottle of injector cleaner that i still havent gottin around to putting in yet.

i still dont know what to do about wires tho. i'm going to have to keep all of your suggestions in mind.

thanks for the help.