What Do You Guys Think? Subframe Is Trash?

Murkstang

Mar 30, 2016
So I just noticed this, and it makes me kinda worried it's trash. I might take it to a shop that has a frame rack and can check it.

Note: This is how my dumba** bought the car.

The front SFC on the driver side. Note, they had to add those plates to weld it.

0312171120a_HDR.jpg

Then the passenger side. No plates.

0312171120_HDR.jpg

In person, you can visibly see that the driver side subframe bends upwards, and the passenger side is more flat.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Was likely installed with the car on a lift which causes the frame to flex and the subs didn't line up. Cut it off, place the car on its wheels and try to install again.

Reactions: 1 user
When sub-frame connectors are installed, the car needs to be on a frame machine at a collision repair shop. Make sure the car is straight BEFORE doing any welding. Most Fox body Mustangs have changed hands several times, and there may not be a clear record of what work has been done on them. There may be some collision damage that you may not be aware of.

Be sure that the car is straight and level as possible; the car has to be sitting evenly on all 4 tires. The sub-frame connectors should mate up to the car body with a minimum gap. Some heat and persuasion may need to be applied to the sub-frame connectors to make this happen. Then and only then have the sub-frames welded in place. The plan is the car is all straight, level and true, and the sub-frame connectors don't change that. What they do is to make sure that it stays that way when unusual forces are applied during racing or vigorous driving.

Otherwise, it may crooked and you have a real mess on your hands...

When sub-frame connectors are installed, the car needs to be on a frame machine at a collision repair shop. Make sure the car is straight BEFORE doing any welding. Most Fox body Mustangs have changed hands several times, and there may not be a clear record of what work has been done on them. There may be some collision damage that you may not be aware of.

Be sure that the car is straight and level as possible; the car has to be sitting evenly on all 4 tires. The sub-frame connectors should mate up to the car body with a minimum gap. Some heat and persuasion may need to be applied to the sub-frame connectors to make this happen. Then and only then have the sub-frames welded in place. The plan is the car is all straight, level and true, and the sub-frame connectors don't change that. What they do is to make sure that it stays that way when unusual forces are applied during racing or vigorous driving.

Otherwise, it may crooked and you have a real mess on your hands...

Thanks, I am aware of this though. I think I'm going to grind them off, and get it to a body shop and have them check it, fix it if they can, then reweld new ones on.

Reactions: 1 user