what does a built short block weigh?

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
i is a iron 4.6 built and stroked short block. i am wondering about round about weight because im truing to figure out how im gonna move it around.

about what does a sb weigh?

• Sponsors (?)

It won't weigh anymore than stock. Only by going with an aluminum block are you going to see a reduction in weight.

That being said, I've got no idea what the "short block" would weight, but an iron block 4.6L fully dressed (the way it would sit in your engine bay, with all the accesories) weights right in at just about 500lbs....give or take. An aluminum block 4.6L like an Explorer engine would clock in at about 80lbs lighter.

wow, yea, im not wondering about weigh reduction. if anything it might be heavier due to the forged internals and crank.:shrug:

i am just wondering how im going to lug it around and stuff to the shop that will be installing it. i cant lift 500lbs:D i figured with the help of some friends, but i dont know.......any ideas?

The iron block itself weighs ~154 lbs. With the rotating assembly installed, you are looking at another ~70 lbs. It depends what crank you are using, some of the forged cranks will weight less than the stock crank, some will weigh more. The stock 4.6 3.543 nodular iron crank is roughly 51 lbs.

The shortblock will be no more than 235 lbs MAX.

The iron block itself weighs ~154 lbs. With the rotating assembly installed, you are looking at another ~70 lbs. It depends what crank you are using, some of the forged cranks will weight less than the stock crank, some will weigh more. The stock 4.6 3.543 nodular iron crank is roughly 51 lbs.

The shortblock will be no more than 235 lbs MAX.

when i was moving one for my buddy it felt a heck of alot heavier than that, lol.

you will need two people to move it, unless you're a friggin brute. i moved it around by myself for a little bit, but there was no way that i could have moved it from the truck to the garage after loading it. after moving it from the shop to the truck, i was spent

oh i plan on having some help. even if i could do it im not trying to kill myself and get a hernia.

if it weighs 300 or less we can move it around, but if its like 500 then i will make other arrangements to get it to the shop.

so, you guys think a couple of guys can move that thing around?

One word......wheelbarrow!

wheelbarrow.jpg

It won't weigh anymore than stock. Only by going with an aluminum block are you going to see a reduction in weight.

That being said, I've got no idea what the "short block" would weight, but an iron block 4.6L fully dressed (the way it would sit in your engine bay, with all the accesories) weights right in at just about 500lbs....give or take. An aluminum block 4.6L like an Explorer engine would clock in at about 80lbs lighter.

Yes a built block weighs more all the parts are bigger and heavier. A stock shortblock will make more power also because the rotating assembly weighs less. That's with all mods being the same. There reason you have built shortblock is for toughness.
Mine weighed 250 by the manifest.

Yes a built block weighs more all the parts are bigger and heavier. A stock shortblock will make more power also because the rotating assembly weighs less. That's with all mods being the same. There reason you have built shortblock is for toughness.
Mine weighed 250 by the manifest.
We're talking the difference of a couple of pounds here....nothing significant from a dry weight perspective. The over all weight between the two is still essentially the same. It’s true that heavier internal components (rods mainly) will soak up a little horsepower due to the added centrifugal inertia, but most people making the kind of power necessary for use of a forged bottom end aren't really all that concerned with the loss of a few horsepower vs. the cost of replacing the short block if you were to grenade it under load.

We're talking the difference of a couple of pounds here....nothing significant from a dry weight perspective. The over all weight between the two is still essentially the same. It’s true that heavier internal components (rods mainly) will soak up a little horsepower due to the added centrifugal inertia, but most people making the kind of power necessary for use of a forged bottom end aren't really all that concerned with the loss of a few horsepower vs. the cost of replacing the short block if you were to grenade it under load.

Precisely. And in a lot of cases the forged rotating assemblies will weigh less than the stock rotating assemblies. It depends largely on how much was removed from the fillets and counterweights of the forged crank. Some forged steel cranks can end up weighing over 15 lbs less than a stock nodular iron crank.

And BTW, don't ever go by a manifest or waybill weight, shipping and freight companies make money by weight.

thanks guys. as long as i can move it with a friend, il be ok. at the weight of 250 we should be ok.

also if i happen to loose a couple of hp because of forged internals, i think the stroker i got will more then make up for it.

thanks guys. as long as i can move it with a friend, il be ok. at the weight of 250 we should be ok.

also if i happen to loose a couple of hp because of forged internals, i think the stroker i got will more then make up for it.

The more precise tolerances, namely cylinder bore tolerances, of your "built" shortblock will free up more than enough HP to overcome a little if any extra weight with the forged rotating assembly.

You're good to go.