What double DIN nav radio to get?

• Sponsors (?)

You're kind of limiting yourself there with the $300 budget...

If it were me, I'd spend a few hundred extra for Pioneer. I've had four Pioneer systems over the years... three of them still work for sure, the fourth was working when I sold the truck it was installed in.

Reactions: 1 user
I found a Sony XAV AX5000 model on ebay open box but brand new for $310 and a link to a bezel is here
View: https://youtu.be/1MPJ1YiaHPM
, I can fab my own copy of this, but the vid shows how to mod the AC controls so they fit down low. This model does not have built in nav or a USB on the front, but its unique shape keeps from needing to hack up the dash to make it fit. The usb is on a cable and it has 2. Nav can be done w Android auto and google maps.

Last edited:
I found a Sony XAV AX5000 model on ebay open box but brand new for $310 and a link to a bezel is here
View: https://youtu.be/1MPJ1YiaHPM
, I can fab my own copy of this, but the vid shows how to mod the AC controls so they fit down low. This model does not have built in nav or a USB on the front, but its unique shape keeps from needing to hack up the dash to make it fit. The usb is on a cable and it has 2. Nav can be done w Android auto and google maps.

If you just want to use you phone for it via Android Auto, the world is your oyster.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-178671-JVC-KW-M56BT.html This would be my choice, even with it's relatively low 21w RMS output, which wouldn't be an issue because I'd send it through an amplifier, and it has a 13-band equalizer and all the features I'd want. I especially like that it's home screen looks like the OEM screen from several Asian car manufacturers, giving it a clean and intuitive look.

Yes I looked widely over the net.....the Sony radio is a unique shape on the back side that I think may work particularly well. There is another brand that is very shallow in the back, After I saw how much of dash must be cut out to fit a conventional full size dbl. din in the upper spot, I quit considering them an option. Putting one in the lower org. radio spot seems all most pointless, and I agree the upper location is only a little bit better.

I personally had the pioneer avic-w8400nex. It’s a bit over your budget, but depending on what you are doing you could get a deck without the Navi. If I could do it all over again I would go without the Navi, because I prefer to use apple car play (better apps for maps, don’t have to buy updates).
This deck was in a 2013 GT, and with the idata link maestro, it could control all the climate control from the touch screen on the deck.
I would recommend the avic series for sure.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to mount the radio tilted back some, I think it will make seeing/using it much easier and then kick out the ac controls some under it and then make a custom cover.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping to figure out a way to mount the radio tilted back some, I think it will make seeing/using it much easier and then kick out the ac controls some under it and then make a custom cover.
A LONGGGG time ago I had a kenwood double din in a truck. This was in the early days of double din navs, but the screen had an electric tilt, so you could adjust the screen angle up quite a bit. I’m not sure if they are still doing it, but they were the only ones I know of who did that.
I actually went a different way for my SN95 build. I got a pioneer SPH 10BT. It’s a single din with a phone dock, aaaaand if your car is old school, you can add 4 back up sensors for $100.

I got the radio in with relatively little hassle, the heat/AC controls moved down w/o having to do anything but tug on some wires to get some more length. The unique shape of the back of the Sony made this easy. The plastic face plate is only half made in this pic....need to finish the lower 3 holes and trim the bottom. I'm very pleased w how its turned out. Making the face plate from a piece of clear plastic will paint it flat black when done.

Attachments

• DSCF3855.JPG
    DSCF3855.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 56