what is the sensor on the lower intake by the #5 runner?

• Sponsors (?)

ACT is generally the reference for the sensor if it's in the intake (like stock on an aero fox).

If the sensor is in the inlet tubing (like on an SN95, Explorer, etc) then it's often called an IAT.

It all performs the same purpose.

^^So if I'm understanding you correctly, when bcmbcmbcm asked what is the sensor on the lower intake by the #5 runner that would be the ACT correct?

Yes, you're correct - that's the best answer.

I didnt think we were nit-picking it earlier and agreed with the general idea of it being an air temp sensor (to contrast the alternative coolant sensor answers).

ACT is generally the reference for the sensor if it's in the intake (like stock on an aero fox).

If the sensor is in the inlet tubing (like on an SN95, Explorer, etc) then it's often called an IAT.

It all performs the same purpose.

Not that it matters, since it is just useless trivia, but my understanding was that prior to ODD-II every manufacturer had their own name for various sensors and Ford called it ACT. One of the OBD-II requirements was standardized names for sensors so when Ford switched to OBD-II it became IAT which is the government mandated name.