What is your favorite war movie(s)?

reddy351

10 Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Like the title says.....

The reason....I will be switching to "couch potato" mode, since my garage is not heated. I have been wanting to catch-up on some good ones. The war or time period doesn't matter. I can watch William Wallace, General Patton or even one of the Caesars. I already have (or have seen) some of the more obvious ones like Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot and 300.)

I have Hellfighters, 12 O'clock High and some others on the list.

So, give me some good recommendations. (Maybe even why you like them.) I'll prolly watch them all...eventually. :)

• Sponsors (?)

The Dirty Dozen, Midway, The Guns of Navarone, The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, those are all oldies but goodies. Flags of our Fathers was pretty solid, havent' seen Letters From Iwo Jima yet though. I wasn't much of a fan of The Thin Red Line...it was a bit tedious and full of itself. Then you have Top Gun, a movie which I loved as a kid but I now can't stand, although I have a strange urge to take my shirt off and go play some volleyball...

movie

U-571 was pretty good (good music score). Paths of Glory (Old School-But pretty well done). I love TopGun, but I wouldn't consider it a war movie-too hollywood. And I can't stand Tom Cruise now. And there are good military dramas like A Few Good Men, Men of Honor (Inspirational), and Rules of Engagement (Enlightening). Enemy at the Gates was very good too (Good music score, acting, educational). Black Hawk Down (Educationial, Photography, Music, Realism, Humanity). We Were Soldiers (Realism and Humanity). Just to name a few. To me a good war movie doesn't glorify war, but at least gives a picture of the nature of it and doesn't point blind fingers.

Yeah las samurai was pretty cool. If you like Vietnam War movies definately check out Boys of Company C, I never hear anyone talking about it but it was great! Full Metal Jacket of course was good too, and so on. I also loved the China Beach series when I was a Kiddo :p

Thanks guys! I've actually seen quite a few of these. I am getting some "nuggets", though! I just watched Memphis Belle the other night.

I've heard good things about "Boys of Company C". Never seen Crimson Tide. (Which one had the helicopter come over the hill at the VERY last second and anihillate a bunch of NVA with the high rate of fire gatling gun? Was that CT?) Prolly haven't seen a lot of the older ones lately. (Guns of Navarrone, Dirty Dozen, Longest Day, etc. That was what I was looking for!)

Keep 'em coming!

In my opinion Black Hawk Down is one of the best war movies ever made. Very solid cast, great music score, true to the actual battle and a complete roller coaster from start to finish. The first time I watched the movie I actually had to stop it about 3/4 way through because it was so emotionally draining. The scene where Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart go in to protect Mike Durant was simply awesome.

my favorites are: saving private ryan, wind talkers, band of brothers, full metal jacket, enemy at the gates, the longest day, gung ho,

theres more but i cant remember the names of them

Alot of great things already posted...

One I always liked is an old Eastwood film called Kelly's Heros kinda campie but just a fun movie to watch.

Lord of war was very good and messed up.

I was supprised how good blood diamond was.

Then there is that viet. nam mel gibson movie...I cant recall the name...might be we were soldiers though?