What Kind Of Synthetic Oil Does Everybody Use?

• Sponsors (?)

Mobil relabled the Mobil 1 0w20 to 5w20. I work at Advance Auto and we got a letter about a month ago stating the switch. Still the exact same oil just relabled to 5w20, probly to appease folks that don't read the bottle completely.

ChopSuey said:
Mobil relabled the Mobil 1 0w20 to 5w20. I work at Advance Auto and we got a letter about a month ago stating the switch. Still the exact same oil just relabled to 5w20, probly to appease folks that don't read the bottle completely.

Not sure I completely buy that one, I for one would like to see the letter. The reason is Mobil recently reformulated it's entire line of oils to comply with the new GF-4/SM API specification. They also added the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance line and reworked the Mobil Clean line. Pretty much everything is new. The other thing is why would Mobil share such proprietary information like that with Advance Auto? What possible purpose would it serve?

I could be way off base here that is why I am curious to see the letter but, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I use Amsoil high performance 5w-30 in both my 2001 Mustang GT as well as my brothers 2001 Mustang GT. We also use it in my mothers 89 Aerostar van without any probelms.

As for the "synthetic questions", thats really a can of worms but I'll go ahead and open it up. The word "synthetic" means something that is formed by man and is not produced naturally. Many companies on the market are releasing their versions of "synthetic oil" to keep up with the synthetic lines of other companies.

Now, whats the difference between companies like Amsoil and comapines like Castrol when it comes to synthetic oil ?

Its simple. Amsoil's pure synthetic oils are NOT petroleum based like many other companies. Many companies take base petroleum oil, process it under the form of something called "hydro-cracking" to change its physical structure just a bit, give it a clean additive package, and label it "synthetic". Now, although the additive package in synthetic oils will help the oil to stay cleaner for a longer period of time, this doesn't mean the oil is going to last much longer than regular conventional oil. The hydro-cracking process only makes the oil a bit more slick and will allow it to resist thermal breakdown just a bit better(maybe not at all) compared to regular oil. This hydro-cracking process is also cheap to do and very inexpensive.

Amsoil is totally different as its base formual is synthesized within a laboratory as well as all of their additives. Thus, it is 100 percent man made, and no based on petroleum. This is what makes their oils "superior" if you would to most of their competitors oils. This is why Amsoil can also recommend longer change intervals with their oils than any other comapny on the market. In my honest opinion, I've used Amsoil and it works great. Well worth the money due to not only how long it lasts, but how well it protects and lubricates.

Just thought I'de point out a few basics about Amsoil and others companies like them concerning "synthetics" and the lower competitors which still use petroleum for their version of "synthetic" oil.

I run Mobil 1 5w20 with a Mobil 1 filter in my '04, but I have some valve noise at startup lately, which I'd like to see disappear.. probably will switch soon, but don't know to what.

swl987 said:
why do you use 5w30 i thought it takes 5w20?

Ford changed the required oil from 5w-30 to 5w-20 because they found the thinner oil gave them a 0.25MPG increase in fuel economy. This helped their CAFE number slightly so that's what the recommend.

The reality is ford never changed any of the tolerances in the motor when they made the change to the thinner oil, that's why some guys choose to keep running the 5w-30 oil even though it says 5w-20 on the cap and manual.

I myself don't really like synthetic oils. There is nothing wrong with them buyt i choose not to run them. I change my oil every 2000 miles with Castrol GTX 5w-30 conventional oil and a Motorcraft FL-820S filter.

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and I plan on changing the oil and Motorcraft filter every 2,000 miles. Changed my 1st oil at 1,000 miles. Car has 1,400 mileson it. You will find everyone has a preference as to which oil they believe is best. As long as you change your oil on a periodic basis (HOT), you will remove any acid buildup and be fine. I DO NOT recommend you go 5,000 miles between oil changes as Ford recommends even with full synthetic oil. Remember, oil is one of the cheapest preventitive maintenance things you can do for your engine - change it often!