What Kind Of Synthetic Oil Does Everybody Use?

• Sponsors (?)

Mobil 5-30 here too..

The following cars also come from the FACTORY with Mobil 1 in their engines:

Bentley Amage & Continental GT Coupe
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Pontiac GTO
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
All Mercedes-Benz AMG's
All Porsches
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars
All Corvette ZO6's.

If it's good enough for these cars it's good enough for my low mileage, barely driven, garage queen Cobra!

U.M.

That always gets me how a lot of companies/people say never use synthetic during break-in yet all these expensive luxury and sports cars factory fill with it...Someone is full of s**t. Same way with break in "rules". Break the damn thing in like you are going to drive it.
I work as a diesel mechanic,have overhauled many engines. Overhaul done,strap it on dyno and run the crap out of it. Have had truckers come in with overhauls from other places,no dyno after,complaining of oil consumption. After checking the ECM for idle times etc,turns out they were idling upwards of 40%. Not good on a fresh overhaul. Anyway.....NEXT !!!

I use Amsoil high performance 5w-30 in both my 2001 Mustang GT as well as my brothers 2001 Mustang GT. We also use it in my mothers 89 Aerostar van without any probelms.

As for the "synthetic questions", thats really a can of worms but I'll go ahead and open it up. The word "synthetic" means something that is formed by man and is not produced naturally. Many companies on the market are releasing their versions of "synthetic oil" to keep up with the synthetic lines of other companies.

Now, whats the difference between companies like Amsoil and comapines like Castrol when it comes to synthetic oil ?

Its simple. Amsoil's pure synthetic oils are NOT petroleum based like many other companies. Many companies take base petroleum oil, process it under the form of something called "hydro-cracking" to change its physical structure just a bit, give it a clean additive package, and label it "synthetic". Now, although the additive package in synthetic oils will help the oil to stay cleaner for a longer period of time, this doesn't mean the oil is going to last much longer than regular conventional oil. The hydro-cracking process only makes the oil a bit more slick and will allow it to resist thermal breakdown just a bit better(maybe not at all) compared to regular oil. This hydro-cracking process is also cheap to do and very inexpensive.

Amsoil is totally different as its base formual is synthesized within a laboratory as well as all of their additives. Thus, it is 100 percent man made, and no based on petroleum. This is what makes their oils "superior" if you would to most of their competitors oils. This is why Amsoil can also recommend longer change intervals with their oils than any other comapny on the market. In my honest opinion, I've used Amsoil and it works great. Well worth the money due to not only how long it lasts, but how well it protects and lubricates.

Just thought I'de point out a few basics about Amsoil and others companies like them concerning "synthetics" and the lower competitors which still use petroleum for their version of "synthetic" oil.

I wonder what Amsoil was based on after reading this so I Googled a few terms and came up with this.

Group IV -Chemical Reactions: Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAO's) synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications.The future belongs to the Group IV basestocks (AMSOIL Synthetic Oils are Group IV Polyalphaolefins).

Polyalphaolefins: One of the synthetic hydrocarbon liquids manufactured from the monomer ethylene, H2C=CH2.

The monomer ethylene is composed of two carbon atoms, each bonded to two hydrogen atoms and sharing a double bond with one another.

Ethylene is produced in the petrochemical industry by steam "cracking". In this process, gaseous or light liquid hydrocarbons are briefly heated to 750–950 °C, inducing numerous free radical reactions. This process converts large hydrocarbons into smaller ones and introduces unsaturation.

Ethylene is used primarily as an intermediate in the manufacture of other chemicals used in the synthesis of monomers.

I believe that this is a petroleum product.