What mild cam ?

stoney

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2000
Brandon MB
Im looking to do a few upgrades to my 95 5.0 GT. The car came with a Hypertech computer module for a 5 speed.

I already did the standard remove air silencer and spark plugs and wires change and the car runs well and the chip is not installed. The Car has 180k kms.

My next upgrades were to have Equal Length Shorty headers, Off road x-pipe and No mufflers just straight pipes. I have another Set of 5.0 heads and was going to do a mild port job. Replace the Timing Chain and I thought I could do a cam lifter and valve spring change as well if one would be needed. I have no plans on changing out the stock intake or throttle body wanted to leave those alone. Would there be a good cam choice to go along with the hypertech chip ? Or should I not install the chip and use a differnt cam ? Or just use the Chip and keep the stock cam ?
Ill be running 3.27s in the rear.

A Ford racing B-cam with 1.6 rockers is close to a 93 cobra cam with 1.7s.

The cars runs great and I only want it to perform better.

• Sponsors (?)

that hypertech is garbage. you can do the same thing by adjusting your distributor. leave the stock cam and grab an explorer intake to go with your ported heads. you'll see more with those items than you would with a cam and head swap.

chip

The Hypertech chip came with the car when I bought it and I never Installed it at all, I was curious to what it actually did but I never bothered to put it in because once I changed the plugs and wires and cleaned the mass air sensor the motor runs super smooth doesn't leak or burn oil.

What does this chip in all honesty do ? Does it just bump the timing and enrichen fuel ? If so that is kinda lame.

Future Plans

Well for future plans, its tough to say I only want to improve the performance of the vehicle on all levels, I don't really want go to far and lose much gas mileage, as my 95 gt has been getting 30mpg at 55mph.

I'm not concerned about emissions. So I thought there might be a cam that wouldn't exactly be emissions friendly but still performance/fuel economy intended. As the stock cam was most likely designed to meet emissions regulations.

My 89 big block is fast enough that I don't like driving it on the street, so my 95 gt doesn't have to be crazy but still improved on the original specs. I like the appearance of the stock or ford manifolds, I would go to a 93 Cobra Manifold If I knew of a way to make it fit, need some sort of elbow adapter.

Like this?

bridalshower05may200706dr4.jpg

I agree with above statements leave the stock cam. with a set of smoothed out stock heads you are still well within the means of the stock cam. bump the timing and ditch the chip. think cam when you get better heads/intake until then take the advice and leave it alone.

i have to disagree with some of the others a little... i do fell like you will see an increase by swaping the cam, granted the heads will only flow what they will flow and the stock cam is matched well, BUT if the cam you get has increased duration and revised valve timing, there are increases to be had, and if i you are swaping the heads and timing set... HECK, you are already in that far, why waste another set of gaskets and the labor later when you do decide to swap a cam.

the FMS cams work well, there is an "E" cam in the classifieds here... not my favorite, but good upgrade and (even though it dont matter) smog legal. plus you can use 1.7 rockers (to get a little more lift) with an "E" and not have piston to valve problems.

get a set of 3.73 gears instead of the 3.27.
that sn95 is heavy.

This is the best advice.

Forget about porting a set of stock heads, not worth the trouble.
Don't bother with the cam without the heads. I've done the "cam with no heads" swap, all it did was make the car sound cool at idle, oh ya, and floated the valves.
Lifters rarely need to be changed, ever.
Throw the Hyper chip in the garbage.
Do not remove the mufflers completely, A. It sounds like crap, and B. your car will be slower.

If you want a little more kick, get a PMAS mass air meter calibrated for your 19lb injectors.

If you want some other minor mods, maybe a 65mm TB, and a mild intake.
Maybe a set of 1.7 rockers on the stock heads.

And i believe trickflow makes an intake adapter to adapt earlier intakes to a 94/95.

This is the best advice.

Forget about porting a set of stock heads, not worth the trouble.
Don't bother with the cam without the heads. I've done the "cam with no heads" swap, all it did was make the car sound cool at idle, oh ya, and floated the valves.
Lifters rarely need to be changed, ever.
Throw the Hyper chip in the garbage.
Do not remove the mufflers completely, A. It sounds like crap, and B. your car will be slower.

If you want a little more kick, get a PMAS mass air meter calibrated for your 19lb injectors.

If you want some other minor mods, maybe a 65mm TB, and a mild intake.
Maybe a set of 1.7 rockers on the stock heads.

And i believe trickflow makes an intake adapter to adapt earlier intakes to a 94/95.

good advice, the elbow looks like this...and they offer a polished one also...
94-'95 Mustang Professional Products Satin Intake Elbow Adapter