What oil weight?

Tripoli

Mar 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
First of all, I tried searching for this topic, and much to my amazement, the keyword "oil" comes up with no matches on this forum. :shrug:

My 2002 Mustang GT recently passed 100,000 miles. The past 98,000 or so have been with Mobil 1 5W-20. I live in Texas. I've had no problems whatsoever with the motor. I daily drive her and take her to the track about once a month. She regularly sees 6,500 RPM.

Should I stick with 5W-20, or should I change to something like 5W-30 or 10W-30?

• Sponsors (?)

Since your getting up into high milage and you dont see extream cold - i'd definitly recomend a synthetic 10w-30. It not too thick in the least, and is exellent (by most manufactureres) in flash point and heat break down deturances.
I stick to Mobil 1, Kendall, and Royal Purple. Cuz those are the ones that wern't afraid to send me temp/pour/flash specs when i worked at Royal Petroleum. Based purely on impresivness of tech sheets, id say Mobil 1 for engine/tranny and Royal Purple for coolent/differential ( i havent seen Royal Purple tranny oil specs yet tho)

As long as you're using good quality oils and have had no issues, I don't see any reason why you should change weights. You can, but it's not going to make much difference...