What parts should we start hoarding?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
I didn't even realize that you can't buy a new set of FMS 42 lbs/hr injectors, now. It just got me thinking that Foxes were/are prevalent enough to still be largely supported by the aftermarket. But as I see fewer and fewer foxes out on the streets, I'm beginning to wonder how much longer the aftermarket is going to be there for them.

I love having spare parts to trouble shoot issues as they arise. I have spare injectors, plugs, wires, dizzy, but what do you expect that will be rare or hard to find in the future that we should probably stock pile while we still can?

One thing I'd want to have a couple spares of, if I ran the original computer is a couple A9Ls. Maybe headlights, tail lights, seal kits, a complete spare harness etc... Am I just paranoid? Will we be able to get the stuff we need for the coming decades?

• Sponsors (?)

ECU's probably. They are already starting to become "rare". Just look online at the typical parts stores and you'll see you can't get a reman ECU for the fox at most chains.

Going rate for a good A9L is $200-400 on the market, which is crazy for 80's era electronics with no warranty. I've got a few Mustang ECU's which I don't plan to sell for two reasons. #1 is i'm selfish, and #2 is i would feel bad selling one for $200-300 or so and having it fail. I HATE selling used electronics.

As to what to hoard, who knows. Usually the stuff that soars in value is the stuffed deemed "a dime a dozen" and never saved.

Last edited:
Odd stuff like original side mirror control switches. I'm looking for one of those right now. AC controls. Hatchback quarter glass. It's already hard to find. I'm bad about thinking any original part regardless of condition is going to be worth something in the future, so I pile it in the corner where it will most likely remain worthless, but I can bring myself to chuck it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Ummm...is there anything we are not supposed to hoard? I hope not or I'm doing it wrong.....:) I have complete wiring harnesses...front to back (just in case...), doors, windows, ecu's etc. I recently started putting things in boxes and labeling...because I started to lose control of what I had, and didn't have. I also have got in the habit of saving ALL factory bolts, nuts and screws from any car I part out.

• Agree
If you find the effin Hr980 ac compressor for the 86 to 89 four cylinder, stock up. Found some, still deciding whether or not to go to the 90 style compressor. Same for the ac control valves for a 79 Mustang ac system, and the six rib two year only compressor clutch. The York compressor is easy, I have had a half dozen on mine. Never seen the clutch at a parts store. Maybe t top stuff, only got one extra set.

ive actually been offloading parts on eBay. My days of hoarding are over.

Unfortunately selling my spare wheels means sitting around on a sat waiting for someone who said they would come by to actually do it

The no longer made aftermarket parts also seem to be going up as well. GT40 Tubular intakes, Mavromont Pony R's, etc. All the stuff that folks wanted but never got but isn't made any more. Those 90+ airbag clock springs are pricey as well :)

Stock airboxes
Hatchback quarter glass

Basically anything that you "can not" get from LMR

Tried to sell my stock airbox a few times, for much less than the ridiculous prices you see on eBay. Surprisingly I got no bites. Back in the plastic bin it went for another few years!

I really want to buy a couple o
The no longer made aftermarket parts also seem to be going up as well. GT40 Tubular intakes, Mavromont Pony R's, etc. All the stuff that folks wanted but never got but isn't made any more. Those 90+ airbag clock springs are pricey as well :)

I bought a set of Mavromonts for cheap. Now finding someone to buy the 16 inch ponies is an issue.

I got my 4 lug chrome mavs for decent price last year. 17x8 and 17x9 with pretty much new Nitto 555s 255s and 285s for 750.

Reactions: 1 users