What Pizza Cutters would go with my car?

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
MokanR12021A021.jpg

MokanR10910A010.jpg

I've got 3 pairs of the 17x9. Street tires on 4 and Drag tires on 2. I've thought about ordering another set to have them narrowed. But man does that sound like an expensive route. Any wheels out there that would look okay? I can get other wheels powdercoated black to match.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Attachments

• MokanR12021A021.jpg
    MokanR12021A021.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 223
  • MokanR10910A010.jpg
    MokanR10910A010.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

prostars, powdercoated black in the center. I've seen it done, and it looks pretty good.

Or sell a complete set of the 17X9's, and get a complete set of the Prostars w/tires... That'd make most sense to me. Lighter rims, more sidewall = better, and it looks matched.

OT. Diablostang, Do you know where I would be able to get an extra set of the DD wheel like I have?
I can only find these wheels on eBay and the guys doest seem to want to sell anything but full sets.

Now, now... no one said anything about what "makes sense". :D

I like to race in street trim, know what my car will do just as it drives everyday. Thought it would be nice and quick to throw on a set of skinnies go run around or run at the track if I needed an extra little help... then switch back.

Plus I like the look of the black wheels on my car.

I love the look of Weld Prostars :drool:

You gotta love the light weight from them
and
You get the benefit from a lighter tire as well

They just won't clear much other than stock brakes
without
Spacing em out a mile which looks funky

In some cases ... peeps report as much as two tenths
in the 1/4 from light wheels/tires all around ;)

btw ... they loose in a battle with a big ole chug hole :rlaugh:

Grady

Pro Stars....

or

Bogarts

just have one set for the street and one for the track. Skinnies are cool and good for track or straight lines...but a good street rim will be FAR better on everyday running around. Once you get them all setup they swap fairly fast.

You guys must have deep wallets. I already have 17" d/r on my extra set of bullitts. It has to be cheaper to buy a pair of pizza cutter and tires than it is to buy those, two rear wheels AND more racing tires. :shrug: Plus selling a pair of black bullitts won't be an easy task.

I may not even like the skinnies... who knows.

I thought you had 3 SETS of 17x9's, not 3 pairs. So basically you swap in the rear DR's before going to the track, and now you want something lighter than the street 17x9's up front, right?

If thats the case just buy a pair of Summit's 15x4's for $90/piece and some 165/80/15 Kuhmo's off tirerack for $31/piece. With spacers and shipping should be less than $300.

No I edited that typo within 2 minutes of posting. There were only 2 views on the thread when I changed it. :rlaugh:

You have it all correct now. I swap out the rears with my Drag Radials and head to the track. When they wear down I plan to get some ET Streets to put on them. I mean if they are track only, might as well right? Plus with the small sidewall, of the 17" hopefully they won't stick good enough to rip the rear end apart.

I'm wanting something on the front that will still "look" half way descent. I'm leaning towards the Prostars and either painting them or having them powdercoated black.

My next question is how narrow can I go with the 17" and still find a reasonably priced tire? :rlaugh:

A friend just posted up a set of Bogart skinnies on our site today. I'm just not ready to spend the money. Need to get this engine finished and in the car and tuned. THEN worry about the pizza cutters.

A narrow stock 17in rim can be gone down to about the width of a skinny front...they are making 17in skinnies but I dont think those tires are cheap either. The look is kinda cool for a sleeper effect but you wont be THAT much weight savings over what a real drag skinny will save you.

I dont think the benifits either way are going to be cheap...but I would bet the bogart or prostar route would be alittle cheaper in the end.

See if the friend will hold onto the rims until you have the money? Unless its looking like 6mo+.

The best fitting skinny 17" tire is the 26x4.5 made by M&H, and its $140/piece.

I had looked into using 2 Cobra spares and getting 2 tires, but in the end it would have cost more than just getting 2 draglite's and running Kuhmo 165's.

Here's a couple options I am looking at:

15x3.5" Draglites - $260 (10lbs)
Weld lugnuts - $30
Kuhmo 165/80's - $78 (17lbs)
1.25" hubcentric spacers - $73 (3.5lbs)
Install/balance @ local discount tire - $20

So for $461 you have everything to run the front draglites and they weigh 30.5lbs total.

If a stock 17x8 weighs 20lbs, and a stock 245/45/17 weighs 25lbs you are saving ~15lbs/wheel and a whole lot of rolling resistance.

You can also buy the bias-ply tires from Mickey or Hoosier and cut another 5lbs off each wheel, but its gonna add $200 to the total cost.

I am also looking into buying 2 15x4's from Diamond racing instead for only $43/piece and putting the same spacers & Kuhmo tires on them. It would come out to ~$300, but the Diamonds weigh 20lbs, so the total weight jumps to 37lbs, so you are only saving ~10lbs/wheel over stock.

I dunno, just throwing out ideas :D

Oh, for sure. Myself I am just trying to weigh the cost vs. the gain. I am trying to balance how much to spend for the front vs. the rears.

Plus, $460 gets you some pretty nice HP mods that you could use all the time, versus front tires that you only use at the track.