What should I set my timing at?

• Sponsors (?)

God its been so loooong since I have even thought about this, BUT, I think its 10 degrees, I would wait for others to chime in tho, I'm getting old and my memory sometimes fails me. LOL

EDIT I did a little research., Ignition Timing
Most 5.0 Mustangs are delivered from the factory with the ignition timing set from 4-6° BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). Stock its set at 10 degrees, if you are running premium fuel you can start at 13°-14°. If you have no detonation, increase upward. Timing is free horsepower and will run better up to 19°-21° of timing. This is some info I found, I cant remember what I have my 92 LX set at, so I do not know if this is accurate.

Best of luck!!

timing

the perfect setting as everyone else has said is 14degrees if youre using 91-93 octane fuel.drive the car and make sure you get no detonation though,if you do then back it down 1 degree at a time and retest until it no longer detonates.i wouldnt go past 14 though.someone earlier on here said 19 or 20degrees but i beleive theyre referring to total timing.also make sure you pull the spout connecter out while checking and adjusting.its beside the tfi module harness.after you set and plug it back in,it advances the total timing between another 10 to 20 degrees.

Dumb question, but what does detonation feel and/or sound like?

In my experiences it has sounded like a pinging noise, if you advance your timing and it starts to ping under acceleration and you're running a low octane gas, you can try 91 or 93 octane, sometimes that will eliminate the pinging, if that does not work you will need to retard the timing a degree or two or as much as it takes to stop the ping. And like faststang90 mentioned, if its advanced too far, when you start the car, the motor will barely turn over.

.also make sure you pull the spout connecter out while checking and adjusting.its beside the tfi module harness.after you set and plug it back in,it advances the total timing between another 10 to 20 degrees.

Great point!! Forgot to mention that.

every car is going to be different.

With an AOD, you'll have more load on the engine so you may get detonation sooner.

Run 93 octane for a few tanks...and then advance the timing. Stock is 10 degrees. Advance 2 degrees at a time and if you get detonation, go back down 2 degrees.

detonation is when you hear the motor pinging or knocking.if you were running cheap gas,goin up a steep hill in too low of a gear,that can sometimes give you the sensation of what it feels or sounds like.its bad on an engine and can blow headgaskets,etc.