Founding Member
Jul 29, 2001
MA
Hey guys I am running:

rebuilt 306
351 heads
B303 cam
shorty headers

What should my timing be set at? My mechanic recently advanced it and it has a lot more power. However, I hear a slight rattling when I accelerate from a dead stop. It goes away as go through the RPM's but it is there at low RPM's. I am guessing this is pinging? I think he advanced it too much and I am looking to set it back a bit. What do you guys think? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would advance and retard degree by degree until it runs to you liking. Usually pinging is more prominant under load and higher rpm. Either way, experiment with the timing, as every car is different.

mustangdani said:
Timing should be set at 10 deg before top dead center.The engine should be at normal operating temp,with the spout connector disconnected.(you will a timing light to do this).

umm...yeah stock timing is 10* btdc. but you can get more power from advancing the timing

Most N/A 5.0 engines can handle 14 deg btdc without any difficulty, but some can handle up to 18 deg. As mentioned earlier all engines are different. I would start with 12 deg and advance 2 degrees until it starts to ping and back down a little. Of course, if you use 93 octane fuel you can handle more timing than if you use 89 octane.