What size socket to remove rag joint nut on '92 LX?

LASAR

Sep 7, 2013
Having a hard time lining up to get a socket on it. Think it's around a 13mm or 14mm
and think it will need to be a deep socket but not sure.
Sure looked easy on a video I watched.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Been a while since I've fiddled with a factory one but I think I would pull the whole steering shaft off and do whatever you are doing then put it back on. Turn your steering wheel till the bolt/nut is pointing straight up and remove that. That's the top connection from the shaft to the column. Then remove the lower splined pinch clamp and take it completely out. That's my story anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't clear on my description of what I need.
Another one of my many senior moments lately.

I'm replacing the rack and pinion and need the size of socket to remove the nut holding it to the steering shaft by the rag joint.
Having a hard time getting something to line up and fit. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Working on a '92 LX convert Summertime Edition. Been in family about 15 years and not driven the last 10.
Been retired for a while and looking forward to restoring it.

Screenshot_2019-10-23-13-38-36-1.png

(Borrowed pic)

Are you talking about the 12 point bolt that's in this picture? If so, it holds that U shaped clamp on the splined shaft of the rack. I don't know the size but as mentioned 12mm is close. It can be tough to break loose where the splines are. Spray some PB Blaster in the joint where the splines are. After sitting long enough to penetrate into the fitting you can tap it upward with a hammer and heavy chisel or whatever you have. The rack will have to be moved forward as it comes out because it only goes upward a little bit. Hope I'm describing what you need.

Last edited:
Only way to get at it is underneath. Jack up front end and move the steering wheel until it’s in a spot to get good access at it. Once you have it lined up it’s not too bad to get off