What weight oil you guys running?

1hot87gt

5 Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
New York
Getting ready to change engine and supercharger oil for the spring. I’m good with the supercharger oil, but wondering what weight oil most of you guys are running in your Foxes. If I remember the last couple of years I’ve run RP 10w40.

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve been getting good deals on vr1 in 10w-30 so I run that. I’ve never really seen a purpose in running anything heavier than 30w unless spec’d by a builder.

Factory oil is 10W-30. Walmart sells a 5qt bottle of Mobil One for $23.88. Don't over think it. These are dinosaur engines; just stick to the factory recommendation and don't worry about it. If the engine has a bunch of blow by because it's worn out, then address possibly putting an additive in there to help mitigate the problem.

Kurt

+1 on the 5w30 Mobile. These engines, even though we are increasing our #'s are still street machines. Making sure you have the proper intervals on the change is the real key. Change the oil and save the engine.

Honestly, that is what I use the Lucas additive is for. It thickens up the oil a bit, quiets the valve train, cuts back on blow by, which isn’t a major issue because the motor is pretty tight, and just overall I believe improves the oils ability to lubricate and protect. But I’m no expert. Just my .02

I'm surprised no one is plugging 10W-40. Won't the thicker oil cut down on valve train chatter?
No. If anything I’ve noticed my lifters make more noise on colder days when the oil is colder and thicker.

Most all roller lifter sbf engines are designed to run 5w-30 or 10w-30, either works. Unless you have things which have been done to put you into the 1% of people who need a different weight, I would just stick to these.

No. If anything I’ve noticed my lifters make more noise on colder days when the oil is colder and thicker.

Most all roller lifter sbf engines are designed to run 5w-30 or 10w-30, either works. Unless you have things which have been done to put you into the 1% of people who need a different weight, I would just stick to these.
What about if you live in the southwest where temperatures in the summer are 100+?

What about if you live in the southwest where temperatures in the summer are 100+?
I’d still use 10w-30. It gets pretty damn hot down here and I’ve never seen any issues.

You could look at the oil pressure you make at full throttle once the weather gets hot. I’d be willing to bet it’s within a couple pounds as a hot engine when it’s cold.

Habu135. You daily that Fox? I live in the Northeast. We usually don’t hit 100+, but it can get real hot sometimes in the summer. And i know when it does, I don’t even touch my car. It just sits in the garage under its cover. And it has AC! Lol.

Btw, how are you guys doing out there with the virus? I’m from NY. Not the city, but out on Long Island. I’m in the food distribution business so I’m considered ‘essential’ and still working supplying the supermarkets. Really scary. Pray they get this under some type of control soon.

Reactions: 1 users