What would you guys do? (Considering buying another Stang, long read)

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
This is probably a loaded question asking about buying a Mustang on a Mustang board but I figured I'd give it a shot.

OK, I have a plan to mod my 91 hatch (big shocker), whole car is going to get touched, I've just about finished the suspension, still needs Cobra brakes, 8.8 gone through, tremec, scatter shield, and a 400+ horse 347 is the plan.

A couple months ago I was working a ton of OT and came across an 04 Mach 1 that I fell in love with. Car has some tasteful mods (tremec, 31 spline axles, sub frames, some suspension work) and I wanted to get it, I got the loan lined up and everything and then backed out before looking at it (due to the fact I hate being in debt).

Fast forward to last night, I was talking to my wife about my planned build for the 91 and I was trying to decide if I was going to go with a Dart block or not. So she asked me to lay out the cost and amount of work its going to take to get the 91 done. So I laid it all out, and she replied with "why don't you just buy that Mach 1 and put a SC on it, then keep DD'ing the 91?"

I had it all out of my system at this point, but then the idea started eating at me again and I found myself looking at Vortechs for Mach 1's. Now, there are a few caveats with this plan. One, I'm not going to stop wanting to mod the 91, might just go with a mild 306 instead of a 347. Two, garage space. I have two available spots, but my truck will have to sit under a lean too, not the best, but no completely exposed. Three, insurance, in addition to my truck I have all the cars in my sig so that is kind of self explanatory. Four, her decision wasn't swayed by the fact that I bought the 67 for her because she doesn't know about it yet (anniversary is at Thanksgiving), though if she did know, she would probably push me harder to get the Mach 1.

Anyway, in a nutshell that's what I'm looking at. The only real problem with modding the 91 is I am working 60+ hours a week and I don't know when it is going to slow down, might be January, might not be for another year. I can afford it either way even without the overtime, I am getting a decent bonus so I can finance the Mach 1 then buy the Vortech cash and have a 450 horse car by January.

What do you guy think? If you made it this far then thanks for reading my book. :p

• Sponsors (?)

I just ordered the coles notes version of your post so I will respond when I get them.

J/K

Me - I'd ditch the fox, DD the truck, buy the Mach and throw the blower and everything else at it that I could find.

Also -you have a very understanding wife. I make good money but mine flips her lid when I spend a couple hundred bucks on mine. Do you know hard it was to buy a stroker, blower and tranny underneath her nose! "Sure honey that supercharger only cost me $300 dollars" lol.

LOL, having separate bank accounts helps a lot. That how I was able to buy the 67 without her knowing. I couldn't DD the truck if I wanted to. I drive 30 miles a day one way and it gets 9mpg. I swap DD duties between the 91 and my WRX right now. It makes sense that I should sell the Fox, but I like my little black hatch. This big hangup is I might not have the free time needed to work on the mods that I want to do to the 91. If I could just slam a blower on the 91 and be done with it I would, but as you well know, I have to beef up the rear, the tranny, then its going to need better brakes, etc, etc.

What do you like more the '91 or the WRX?

WRX = winter goodness, but how much snow do you see down there; any at all?

I'm sort of thinking for you to sell one of the DD's off and get the Mach. Even if you don't technically have to sell one of the DD's off, it would most likely be best.

If the WRX would take less work to make it fast enough for your DD, then do a few mods to that and sell the '91 off.

What do you like more the '91 or the WRX?

WRX = winter goodness, but how much snow do you see down there; any at all?

I'm sort of thinking for you to sell one of the DD's off and get the Mach. Even if you don't technically have to sell one of the DD's off, it would most likely be best.

If the WRX would take less work to make it fast enough for your DD, then do a few mods to that and sell the '91 off.

No snow at all actually, I bought it to have something different from my other rides (4 doors, boxter engine, awd). It isn't stock, makes about 275fwhp and can get 27mpg if I do my part. Only real thing I don't like about it is it isn't easy to work on, but its the only non rwd V8 thing I own.

I'm gonna get blasted for this but........as much as I love my fox I would gladly ditch a foxbody DD for a WRX and a blown Mach 1 for a weekend toy

I always regretted selling my 89 Fox despite its problems, which culminated into me buying the 91 I have now. I really like bouncing back and forth between the two every other week. The 91 is a little rough around the edges, which is nice since most of the people I work with don't understand how to park straight and not hit other cars with their doors. :rolleyes:

Mostly its the space issue and having another loan. I absolutely loath being debt. When I got the WRX last year I paid it off in 7 months, I always convince myself that I will make the minimum payment, but I end up paying 2X to 3X every month to get it gone. Plus even though I tell myself I'll only strap a blower onto the Mach and be done with it I know I'll start looking at putting MM stuff underneath it, and I really don't want to lose focus off my Dart and 91.

I want a Mach 1.... To park next to my fox.

Azure blue....with chrome 18" saleens and crossdrillled rotors...and exhaust and tint. That's all

AB would be hot, all the ones I find are more expensive then the other colors. Wish I could find one in Competition Orange. :drool:

As a side note Vortech's website states that a Mach 1 with one of their kits will see 460ish hp and 400ish ftlbs, is this realistic with just the kit and a tune? Or is it fluff?

Link: 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 4.6L Supercharging Systems | Vortech Superchargers

Also, I've been looking at this from the perspective that once I sign the loan paperwork I won't be working on the 91. Which isn't entirely true, if my overtime keeps up like it has all year then I will start out next year with about $8K in cash, half of which I would blow on the S/C kit for the Mach. However, even with all that money it'll take me time to do all the work to the 91 to get it ready for the 347. It's not like I'd be slamming the 347 in it within a couple of months. Which of course will be delayed even more if I continue working 60+ hours a week.

I did find a Torch Red 04 with only 47K miles on it that is local to me, not sure if I love TR or not, but the mileage is awesome. The original car I was looking at is a five hour drive away unfortunately, so checking it out is going to be more troublesome.

Oh and of course today I stumbled on a local 01 Bullitt (this and a Mach 1 are what I've been considering) for sale by the original owner, with 55K miles, in mostly original condition for $9K. All perfect except it is black instead of DHG. :p

Oh and of course today I stumbled on a local 01 Bullitt (this and a Mach 1 are what I've been considering) for sale by the original owner, with 55K miles, in mostly original condition for $9K. All perfect except it is black instead of DHG. :p

As far as I'm concerned, DHG is the only color the Bullitt should have came in...but I guess I'm biased, right?

Anyway, I have owned a '95 GT and now my '01 Bullitt and as much as I loved my '95, the move up to the '01 was one of the best choices I've ever made. The '95 was my first car and I owned it for 6 years and had a huge emotional attachment to it, but the price was right for the Bullitt, and I got good $$ for the '95 so I let it go.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the trade up to the Mach 1 would be a night and day difference. Those 4v motors respond to mods so well, and you'd probably be right at 450ish RWHP with the blower on there. The ride will be smoother, the interior will be more comfortable, and it will probably be more reliable.

It's not like you don't still have the Dart and your wifes '67 to tinker with if your feeling the need to play around with an older car. I totally understand the situation, my best advice would be to go with your gut feeling. As much as I loathed selling my '95, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Good luck with the decision man, either way you'll still have a sweet mustang.

The mach 1 is a terrible idea.
First off, a mach+vortech=03 cobra price. (that's for any mach 1 with decently low miles, if you buy 75,000 miles and up it will be cheaper, but even less of a good car to boost).
Second, the mach probably isn't going to last long if you beat on it with a supercharger.
Third, they are really only good to low 400's in hp for maximum reliability. Ya, of course that are guys that exceed those numbers, but at risk of their engine.

Fourth, rebuilding a modular engine will soak up all your money in no time, at a minimum, everything costs double, especially on an aluminum block engine.
How does $200 just for head bolts cost? Another $200 in head gaskets?

You want another mustang to beat on mod and drive that's a new edge?
Smart money buys an 03/04 cobra. Pulley and tune and you are at high 400's and it only takes like 15 minutes and few hundred bucks.
And while i was always a centrifical with pushrods, the broad power range of a pullied eaton is unreal with a modular engine.

03/04 cobra or skip the modular.

As far as I'm concerned, DHG is the only color the Bullitt should have came in...but I guess I'm biased, right?

I agree.

I've been pricing them also, from what I've seen of local prices it seems that Cobra's are still $20K+ and I can find Machs for $10K-$14K depending on mileage condition, etc. Not a huge spread though.

First off, a mach+vortech=03 cobra price. (that's for any mach 1 with decently low miles, if you buy 75,000 miles and up it will be cheaper, but even less of a good car to boost).
Second, the mach probably isn't going to last long if you beat on it with a supercharger.
Third, they are really only good to low 400's in hp for maximum reliability. Ya, of course that are guys that exceed those numbers, but at risk of their engine.

Fourth, rebuilding a modular engine will soak up all your money in no time, at a minimum, everything costs double, especially on an aluminum block engine.

Smart money buys an 03/04 cobra. Pulley and tune and you are at high 400's and it only takes like 15 minutes and few hundred bucks.
And while i was always a centrifical with pushrods, the broad power range of a pullied eaton is unreal with a modular engine.

So many people find this out the hard way. Don't be one of those people and pass on the mod car.

What he said. I have a whippled 03 lightning and a whippled 03 cobra and i haven't seen a 5.0/LS1 anything stay within 3 car lenghts of either car. I've destroyed vortech/kenne bell/paxton/tubo'd 5.0s, 2011 5.0's, blown ls1's like nothing.
I was going to get an 11 5.0, but i'm waiting to see what the new cobra will bring to the table.

Go SVT or go home!

Eh, i'll take the expensive refinement of a SN95 over a Fox these days. I miss my 2003 GT. I took care of it and it was a pleasure to own. Rattle free, rode nice, sounded awesome, nice OEM stereo, ABS/TC so you can drive in rain, longer wheelbase kept it stable, better brakes, etc, etc.

If you are gonna keep an Sn95 near stock, i see no reason not to get one. If you plan on dropping $3000+ in mods on one, then it gets pricey.

getting in a newer car turning the key beats the fox any day for a DD situation IMO

i love my 02 gt i baught have a whole 6500 in it and gets almost 30mpg hwy