what wrench and socket sizes for headgasket job?

racer_inboston

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
boston, ma
Hello my fellow stang members! I will be doing the head gaskets on my 1991 f150 (5.0) and would like to know what size wrenches and sockets i need and specs for torq on componets , since I don't own tools anymore so I will be borrowing them from a friend.
I have done 2 of these jobs but this was back in 95 on on my mustang 5.0 so Its been a while since I tinker myself.

Thank you all once again.
Racer

• Sponsors (?)

I believe for the intake you need 1/2 wrench/sockets. You also need a torx bit. I forget what size. You will need flat bladed screw drivers and scrapers. I think the dizzy is held down with a 12mm wrench. Head bolts I think are 9/16 heads maybe 5/8. As far as torque goes intake is 18 ft pounds and head bolts are 65-70 ft/lbs. there is also an order in which you torque intake and heads

I don't recall head bolt sizes, i think they're like 11/16...they're pretty big. The only one i had problems with is the bottom row back bolt on the driver's side that's closest to the brake booster. It's really tight in there and getting a socket down on there is a challenge, but doable.

I don't recall head bolt sizes, i think they're like 11/16...they're pretty big. The only one i had problems with is the bottom row back bolt on the driver's side that's closest to the brake booster. It's really tight in there and getting a socket down on there is a challenge, but doable.

i always forget there size. just get a set of sockets and wrench's.