what's the longest you can go without changing your oil

OinkAodeOink said:
All you people wasting your money and time changing your oil every 3k or less, are only causing more problems, by having to contain more and more used motor oil on this earth...

Why not help earth, and your walet by changing your oil to the Ford recomended 5k mile period.. Some of you guys are just way to anal about your cars, lol.. Come on now!

I am not arguing for 3K oil changes here but, used oil is recycled as long as it is properly disposed of. There are many uses for used oil and some of it is even re-refined for use as motor oil again.

http://www.recycleoil.org/Usedoilflow.htm

• Sponsors (?)

The owners manual calls for synthetic blend for my '03 Stang which is what I run in it and my wife's '04 Escape and my '99 F150. I was surprised to see comments on here about regular oil. I change my oil (Castrol Synblend) and filter (Motorcraft) every 3,000 to 4,000 miles on the F150 and Escape. I have been changing the oil in the Mustang every 3,000 miles which ends up being twice a year since its not a daily driver. If I remember right my Mustang holds 6 quarts of oil. I know My truck holds 6 quarts and the Escape 3.0 six cylinder holds 5.5 quarts. I noticed some people commented that they only bought 5 quarts of oil. What year the capacity change in the Mustangs? Would full synthetic be better for my stang since I change my oil every 6 months?

Johnson505 said:
The owners manual calls for synthetic blend for my '03 Stang which is what I run in it and my wife's '04 Escape and my '99 F150. I was surprised to see comments on here about regular oil. I change my oil (Castrol Synblend) and filter (Motorcraft) every 3,000 to 4,000 miles on the F150 and Escape. I have been changing the oil in the Mustang every 3,000 miles which ends up being twice a year since its not a daily driver. If I remember right my Mustang holds 6 quarts of oil. I know My truck holds 6 quarts and the Escape 3.0 six cylinder holds 5.5 quarts. I noticed some people commented that they only bought 5 quarts of oil. What year the capacity change in the Mustangs? Would full synthetic be better for my stang since I change my oil every 6 months?

I believe it happened some time during 2001 as some '01s call for 5 and some 6 and from 2002 on it is 6 quarts.

Are you all dumb

Is everyone really trying to save the money it that it would take to protect your stang. Every 3000 miles and never over. I have a 96 cobra and the engine is immaculate and have had no problems. It is idiotic not to change the oil to protect a engine that is several thousand dollars. Protect you investment and dont be a dumbass.

these topics are so funny to me.

how many people know nothing about oil. like it is some unknown thing.

you can have your oil tested if you really want to know when it needs be changed. It is not black magic.

dino oil is pretty well known and if you use it there are very good guidlines.

once you step into the synthetics though there are verying grades and using guidlines are very hard to work with as they do not break down like dino oil. there are not as easily defined mile and time intervals.

anyone who is changing thier synthetic oil and 3k and thinks they need to either has never been educated or just likes spending extra money for a fake sense of security.

one thing to remeber all manufactures recomendations are usually for dino oil.

PULMEOVR said:
Hey, I have no problem with people changing their oil every 2,500km or whatever. More power to you. I change my oil every 6,000 km (3750 miles) and this is VERY early to be changing my oil. I run Mobil 1, synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter. Mobil 1, use to guarantee their oil for 12,000 miles. Amsoil has, what, a 25,000 mile guarantee? When you run a quality synthetic oil, it will last you a long time before it breaksdown. Many people are reluctant to believe this because this is not what the manufacturers tell you (they want you to spend more $$$). What is important is that you do filter changes every so often, in oder to keep the oil well filtered. This is very important, because this WILL gum up, and break down your engine.

There will be more people to chime in with stats etc. as well I'm sure.

But seriously though, do some research and you'll understand.

Matt :)

Thats exactly what consumer reports have said. No reason you need to change the oil right at the 3000 mark especially with synthetics. I change mine at about 4000 and for mobil 1 synth thats pretty darn quick.