Wheel Paint and Tire Mounting

Jmunk

Sep 30, 2007
I got a set of Ponys the other day that need some attention in the paint department. I have found that Duplicolor has a close match to the factory color. Question is has anyone used the Duplicolor wheel paint with tires off the rims and had tires mounted with the paint not chipping? I hate to do all the prep work only to have the paint chip off when tires are mounted.

• Sponsors (?)

If preped and paint properly they should hold up fine. Ive painted lots of wheels over the years both with spray cans and with spray guns and they always held up great. When ive mounted tires to them I used a lot of lube :D
and never had any damage.

When I get around to painting the wheels on my LX I'm going to pop the outside bead down so I can prep them and paint the whole lip and then back mask the lip and not have to worry about the head on the tire machine possibly eating up the paint.

someone on here did it with the tires on and put a heavy coat of tire shine on them, the paint didn't really stick to the shine and what did he was able to wipe it off. if i remember right it turned out good.

UPDATE:

I painted the wheels using VHT Ford Argent silver wheel paint and their clear coat. Turned out nice, I will get pics up soon. I painted the rims with no tires on them and when the shop put the new tires on there wasn't a single scratch/chip in the paint. With good prep the VHT stuff bonds well. Also I got the best deal on the paint from Amazon, in total I used 3 cans of silver and about 2 cans of clear.

the 98 Cobras are spray bombed :) I painted and had tires mounted the same day, not perfect but pretty good.

CutSprings1.jpg