Wheel rub on coil spring covers - whats the fix?

68restoman

Jun 5, 2003
Tire rub on coil spring covers - whats the fix?

After installing a wedge kit and going to wider tires on my 68 coupe my tires are rubbing on the coil spring covers (inside the fenders bolted to outside of the shock towers) and the bumpstops no longer line up with the upper control arms. Does anyone have any info or pictures on how to modify the covers to move them inboard? I have the tools to cut and weld if that's the way to go...

Thanks!
68Restoman

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on Opentracker

I think he has done some. I've seen them somewhere else as well. Just can't remember. MIght try a search on "bump stops" or "inner fender wells" or "tire rubbing". Mostly it will be the racing crowd as they are usually the ones running the extra negative camber. I've only read this for the '65-'66 Mustangs. I don't think there would be a big difference other then maybe the measurements. If all else fails unbolt yours and make cardboard templates to work with. If it was me, I'd do templates for both sides, just in case there is any variance. Might as well make it right the first time.
Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in.

Good luck,

Scott

I bought a set of Cobra Automotive's coil spring covers for my '65. They are lower profile, allowing more tire/wheel clearance, and are much stronger/stiffer than the stock units, thus strengthening the shock tower area a bit. Worth checking into if they make a set for 67-8's. The quality of the pieces was excellent, and they came painted (or powdercoated) and ready to install.

bs65.jpg

outershock1.jpg

Before and after.

John