When Did The Fart Can First Appear?

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
I started noticing the trend right around 2000-2001, I guess right before or around the first Fast and Furious caught on.

And also, I definatly agree with Jason that it got REAL big when the immigration thing exploded in my area. Most of the worst ricers are immigrants (mostly Mexicans... legal or not I dont know), and I dont mean that in a demeaning or racist way at all, its just how it is.
The Asians also have fart pipes on their ricer cars. I see a lot of Puerto Ricans and Hispanics around here with fart pipes on their Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. Fart pipes are mostly put on cars by Puerto Ricans, Hispanics, Asians and white kids with baggy pants who want to imitate hispanic and black homies and rappers.

jasonh_86 said:
In my area it has been around since the early-mid 90's.. but got real big after Fast & The Furious and when the illegal immigration rate from below the U.S. started to pick up :nonono:
You could thank Bill Clinton for that.

GReddy…

Founded in Japan in 1977 The Trust company LTD has become a dominant source for automotive performance products around the world. With popular brand names like GReddy, the division that makes Exhaust Systems, Turbo Kits, Cooling systems, Electronics and Accessory lines, GREX, the division that makes both engine hard parts and footwear (suspension brakes etc.), and GRacer, the division that produces aerodynamic components the Trust Company offers one of the widest varieties of performance automotive components in the world.

Since 1994 the development and distribution of Trust Company products in the United States has been accomplished by GReddy Performance Products, in Irvine California.

Mugen
Mugen Motorsports (M-TEC Co., Ltd) (無限) is a Japanese company formed in 1973 by Hirotoshi Honda, the son of Honda Motor Company founder Soichiro Honda, and Masao Kimura.

So it is safe to say that the trend grew from the mid 90s? But it seems that the roots are deeper than that :shrug:

jitcrunch.aspx

bluextc said:
My neighbor was parked at the CH mall a couple weeks ago and came out to find a security guard and a bunch of kids around her stang (she was parked out away from everyone else). Apparently the kids were trying to break into her car and told the guard it was their friend's. So they are still looking some.. I'm noticing the kids around here starting to get into some of the domestics, but then ricing them out with neon and such...
my 95 Cobra was stolen at the CH Mall...in front of JCP on the upper section near the main entrance. Tow Truck just lifted it up and took it away. Mall security is like no security at all.

Henceforward said:
GReddy…

Founded in Japan in 1977
So it is safe to say that the trend grew from the mid 90s? But it seems that the roots are deeper than that :shrug:
Yeah it became main stream popular here in the early 90's but it definately goes back to the 70's. I remember guys with Datsun 210's at the track. I had a 85 RX7 while i was in high school (late 80's) with full exhaust and nitrous that was fun. The exhaust had a nice sound more like a sport bike then way they are now. I really liked Japanese sport cars when i was younger...they were reliable and not too expensive but now the Stigma and trouble associated with them isn't worth owning one. I would like to get another Supra when they come out or a TT RX8 if that ever happens but then i would fear it being stolen or worse have my girl jacked if she was driving it.

The fart cans were just starting to get popular around here by 95-96 or so. Around then, I had a 94 Ford Probe GT that needed a new exhaust. The Speed shop I went to was really pushing the Greddy, but they also had Borla. I didn't know much about either one, but I hated the 6 inch exhaust tip on the Greddy, so I got the Borla Cat back. Thank God.
The Borla sounded really good with the Probe's V6 -- very European, not at all ricey or weedwhacker-ish.

Of course MAC O/R H-pipe and Flowmasters are WAY better. I'm glad I saw the error of my ways..... :)