When I installed timing chain, did I mess up?

pwcracer

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hastings, MN, USA
I was following the guide on here for building an engine, and I didn't follow this step when installing my timing chain and gear..

"Bring the #1 piston up to TDC. Set the cam so the dowel in the 6 O'clock position.
Allign the "." on the cam sprocket to 6 o'clock. Allign the "." on the crank sprocket
to the 12 o'clock setting. Slide the sprockets on to look like this."

all I did was line up the marks on the sprockets... Could I have messed this part up? My engine doesn't want to run very good..

• Sponsors (?)

I was following the guide on here for building an engine, and I didn't follow this step when installing my timing chain and gear..

"Bring the #1 piston up to TDC. Set the cam so the dowel in the 6 O'clock position.
Allign the "." on the cam sprocket to 6 o'clock. Allign the "." on the crank sprocket
to the 12 o'clock setting. Slide the sprockets on to look like this."

all I did was line up the marks on the sprockets... Could I have messed this part up? My engine doesn't want to run very good..

that's just a long way of saying "line up the dots on the sprockets" it's really hard to mess up. do what ls1beater4eva said and make sure you stabbed the dizzy correctly. thats normally where people mess up and will make your car run like total crap if stabbed incorrectly.

if the marks line up and the car runs you did it right . if the car will not run you could have the marks lined up 360 deg off on the crank. In other words you technically could have the cam timed to top dead ctr on the exhaust stroke. in which case I am pretty sure the car wont run. chris