When was my engine made?

Redfire 05

Apr 6, 2005
Lubbock, TX
Is there a serial number on the engine, and heads that has the build dates? I have an 86' GT, but I suspect a later model engine may be in my car. I already know the tranny is a 90-93 model AOD. I suspect maybe the previous owners found a wrecked donar car and swaped the drivetrain out. I am hoping they did, because I want to get a set of aftermarket heads, but an 86' engine with flat top pistons complicates matters. How do I tell? I noticed that the oil pan has two drain plugs, I thought only later model 5.0s had this.

• Sponsors (?)

You can find the year of the engine block by looking at the casting numbers, but that does not mean that it has stock pistons in it. I would suggest pulling the heads to check for sure. It is a pain to do all that work just for some info, but that is the only way I can think of to know for sure. The block casting numbers are on the underside in the rear. Cant remember which side, but I am fairly sure they are hidden by the headers? maybe someone else should try to answer that.

4607b2a4.jpg

Attachments

• 4607b2a4.jpg
    4607b2a4.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 54
Redfire 05 said:
Thanks, I'll take a look. So how do I decode the casting number? Is there a website that explains it?

First 2 digits are the important part.
The first digit is a letter and indicates the decade of the casting.

C 60s
D 70s
E 80s
F 90s

The second digit is the year in the decade.

C9...=1969
E7...=1987

This is true for most all Ford parts of our era.