Where can I buy a king cobra clutch

It means it's a good clutch, now depending on quality control at the manufacturer as to operational problems and longevity, according to the more informed members here the throw out bearing is the wild card, my Veleo clutch is still in the box.

• Sponsors (?)

Last year I bought the kit from autozone, but used Ford TO and pilot bearings and not the ones in the kit.

So far all is well. The best feeling clutch of any foxbody I've ever owned, but I did change everything out including the transmission input shaft bearing retainer, ball pivot stud and fork with a steel frpp one (bearing retainer)

fork with a steel frpp one (bearing retainer)
I "think" thats the fork I ordered/used in my 83 project.. I was surprised at the difference in the metal thickness used in its construction over my stock 83 clutch fork.. Twice as thick.........

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got my King Cobra kit on eBay. It has a Valeo pressure plate and disc, but I also highly recommend not using the T/O or pilot bearings. Already had to replace the T/O with a Timken. This thing started squawking at me immediately after I put it in. It was all lubed properly, it was just a junk bearing.

20211120_144053.jpg

I "think" thats the fork I ordered/used in my 83 project.. I was surprised at the difference in the metal thickness used in its construction over my stock 83 clutch fork.. Twice as thick.........
Sorry about the vague response... I was referring to the frpp steel input shaft bearing retainer, not the fork. I did use OEM ball pivot stud and TO bearing fork though... And they are quality pieces.

I got my King Cobra kit on eBay. It has a Valeo pressure plate and disc, but I also highly recommend not using the T/O or pilot bearings. Already had to replace the T/O with a Timken. This thing started squawking at me immediately after I put it in. It was all lubed properly, it was just a junk bearing.

20211120_144053.jpg
Yes, exactly... That's exactly why I bought new Ford OEM TO and pilot bearings and used those and not the ones in the AutoZone kit, which when viewed side by side the OEM bearings are clearly higher quality.

so whats a good clutch for a stock car? any go-to brands?
If I didn't mention it prior, I went with the AutoZone kit, but again, used Ford OEM throw out and pilot bearings, based on recommendations of members here. I'm glad I took their advice.

The AutoZone clutch disc and pressure plate are doing well, no issues and have a nice light pedal pressure. The kit pieces are also lifetime warranty and were reasonably priced. For a stock engine car, I recommend them.

If I didn't mention it prior, I went with the AutoZone kit, but again, used Ford OEM throw out and pilot bearings, based on recommendations of members here. I'm glad I took their advice.

The AutoZone clutch disc and pressure plate are doing well, no issues and have a nice light pedal pressure. The kit pieces are also lifetime warranty and were reasonably priced. For a stock engine car, I recommend them.
Thanks.. I didn't even know autozone had their own clutch.

I never bought a AutoZone clutch so I couldn't tell ya what pressure plate it is but its probably a valeo or luk... If anyone has one not installed look for the part number on the pressure plate.

cheap eBay/amazon kits all ways show a fdc-09 pressure plates which is closer to an HD then stock feel. The pedal feel is always going to come from the static clamp load of the pressure plate and the fulcrum of the finger design, as long as the linkage(clutch cable) system moves freely. holding power is going to be from both the clamp load of pressure plate and disc material / design and the application its used in, weight, gearing power etc.. The real cheap stuff is packaged with garbage China sourced discs and are generally what you see fail when the material rips away, not something you want to trust you feet to if you launching a car at 6k on a sticky tire. Very few companies make clutches, lots of them brand and package clutches though. The clutch from promotion will be what you wanted, he's been doing mustang clutches for years for class racers to your typical owner and isn't some guy hawking backdoor china stuff on fleabay.

Walt is his name and he's a hell of a dude. He has sourced me stuff and recommended part numbers completely free of charge as well as built me a T56 transmission with the same internals as the old T56 tranzilla.

That clutch looks just like the one I had in my car previously. The copper tone rivets give it away. Just couldn't hold any boost. Theres a centerforce in front of a new tko600 now and it feels good. Not heavy at all. Bob at Hanlon Motorsport recommended it and I purchased as a package with the transmission.

Anyone know of a 26-spline clutch disc with similar organic material that would work in a king cobra that I can purchase separately? I'm trying to piece together a T56 install on a budget. I have the transmission, but need everything else. I don't wanna spend $2k on new parts if I can help it.

Centerforce dual friction used to be the way to go, on this, IIRC...

The dual friction is still available from McLeod and cf....260570 was the Df disc I used for my tko, For a full organic pick your suppliers for the 26 spline disc just avoid the cheap china eBay :poo:.

• Useful