WHERE is the LOVE for 02 GT Brakes?! (PS I need help finding new pads for my 02 gt)

Miller220

Sep 12, 2009
Anyone have suggestions? All the threads I saw are for guys with Cobras and the like looking for new brakes, but nothing for GT's. I'm still fairly new to actually CARING about what goes onto my car, and for the Falcon(I Fancy myself a 20 year old Han Solo driving a Silver Mustang JTLYK). I'm pretty hard on my brakes, and dont have a CLUE as to what is on now.

A short version of all that nonsense, is....Brake Pad Suggestions for a 20 year old that can do the kessle run in less then 12 par secs?:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Consider Cobra brake upgrade

I installed Cobra brakes on my 2003 GT. The difference was amazing! The pedal is more responsive. Takes less effort to stop in normal driving. If you really need to stop, WOW!

Best single upgrade by far I have done to my car.

You will have to have 17" rims to clear.

If $$ is short, the Ford racing catalog has two sets of Cobra brakes. The older/cheaper one will fit on a late model. You will need to re-use the stock brake line.

My pads are worn out, and I want cobra brakes...but I'm in college, and dont have a job at the moment...just commute to and from school every day, SO...am I to understand from all this that there are no brake pads in particular that I should be looking for?

So what's wrong with going to your local auto parts store and getting a premium set (not house brand)? I have had good luck with Wagner brand.

To get a great brake job, do the other things as well. Surface the rotors. Clean and grease the slide pins. Clean the metal/metal contact areas where the pads set on the brackets.

If the brake fluid is dark black, flush the old fluid by bleeding the brakes.

Yea, :stupid:I'm with WMburns, make sure you grease the slide pins or they will rust closed or open, either way your pads will wear unevenly. I like my front brakes on my gt 2000, its the back ones I hate changing b/c of the piston of some sorts I have to rotate, so if I was going to upgrade it would those, didn't have the part to rotate them, it took me somewhat of 3 hours of hard turning with a multi-tool to get them back in. Like W.M.burns stated get a brand that you can trust!
Has anyone ever heard of people trying to sale brake pads really cheap and they end up being make out Saw Dust:nonono:. Yea, they catch on fire:jaw:! Saw it on 60 minutes or one of those whistle blowing T.V. shows.

Yea, :stupid:I'm with WMburns, make sure you grease the slide pins or they will rust closed or open, either way your pads will wear unevenly. I like my front brakes on my gt 2000, its the back ones I hate changing b/c of the piston of some sorts I have to rotate, so if I was going to upgrade it would those, didn't have the part to rotate them, it took me somewhat of 3 hours of hard turning with a multi-tool to get them back in. Like W.M.burns stated get a brand that you can trust!
Has anyone ever heard of people trying to sale brake pads really cheap and they end up being make out Saw Dust:nonono:. Yea, they catch on fire:jaw:! Saw it on 60 minutes or one of those whistle blowing T.V. shows.

Just for a little info...

The Cobra rear brakes use the same caliper as the GT...you would still need the tool to turn the pistons in. But why not go ahead and buy it? It's only like $10 or so.

I don't know about the aftermarket kits.

So what's wrong with going to your local auto parts store and getting a premium set (not house brand)? I have had good luck with Wagner brand.
Well, I have gotten both and I did notice the only the ones from the parts counter came with new stainless steel rattle clips. The parts store ones did not in all cases come with them and they had to be swapped over from the old ones.

To get a great brake job, do the other things as well. Surface the rotors. Clean and grease the slide pins. Clean the metal/metal contact areas where the pads set on the brackets.
I agree, especially on the slide pins. I like to take a dremel and really clean up the channels that the ears on the pads ride in. I also like to paint the rotor hats silver to really clean up the look of the wheel.

If the brake fluid is dark black, flush the old fluid by bleeding the brakes.
Bleeding the brakes is a great "mod" it makes your brake system feel like a new high performance one :nice: Usually when I do it I bleed into a 16 oz coke bottle and it looks just like "the real thing"... :) Brake fluid gets nasty quick I think it should be bled every year regardless of miles driven.

Wagner's with plenty of grease on the the slide pins and disc brake quiet on the back of the pads. Just remember that ceramic pads are harder on your brake rotors. Also, check out Hawk brake pads. They have good aftermarket pads that will fit O.E. brake calipers.