Where to place jackstands on foxbody with subframe connectors

johnny21

Jan 26, 2020
Miami
Can I just use the subframe connectors to hold up both sides while I replace a midpipe? If so does it matter where on the subframe I place the jacks? Any advice/guidance is appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I usually put two at the back under the shock mount on the axle. Then two at the front under the spring on the control arm. It just looks more stable like that.

Kurt

Can I just use the subframe connectors to hold up both sides while I replace a midpipe? If so does it matter where on the subframe I place the jacks? Any advice/guidance is appreciated, thanks!
Yes you can. I put my lift pads right under where the SFCs are welded to the cars front and rear subframes and up she goes. Rock solid too, no issues. I installed MM SFCs last month and they are pretty beefy/solid and nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't jack the car by the connectors themselves. I did some cosmetic damage to my left side MM connector on my 91 GT by trying to jack up the car that way.

I compounded my mistake by using a two-ton floor jack. My intention was to put jack stands in front of the left rear and behind the left front tire so I could rotate tires or something (it was years ago) and I didn't count on the how the weight would be distributed. The rear of the jack itself tilted up and smacked into my left side skirt and damaged it.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't jack the car by the connectors themselves. I did some cosmetic damage to my left side MM connector on my 91 GT by trying to jack up the car that way.

I compounded my mistake by using a two-ton floor jack. My intention was to put jack stands in front of the left rear and behind the left front tire so I could rotate tires or something (it was years ago) and I didn't count on the how the weight would be distributed. The rear of the jack itself tilted up and smacked into my left side skirt and damaged it.
That's a bummer, thanks for the tip!

My lift pads have rubber on them = no damage. If I was using a floor Jack I'd put a small piece of 2x4 on the Jack pad to insulate it.