Which motor oil to use?

avexhype

Nov 26, 2003
its amazing how much the search engine SUCKS; type in oil and nothing comes up.

Anyway, 00 gt (5sp) with 68k miles. Ive read 5w30 to 10w30 but which brand? Synthetic or petroleum based? i just bought this car and the last owner said he used Mobil 1 5w30 but was not sure if he said NON synthetic or synthetic. Ill be using a mobil 1 oil filter regaurdless if that matters...

• Sponsors (?)

Id switch to synthetic if I were you. Mobil is good stuff, so is Motorcraft. Its a little cheaper than Mobil, has good reviews.

5w30 is reccomended for the 99-00, 5w20 for newer, not sure about non-pi engines. 5 quarts.

Since you've just bought the car and it's at that mileage, I'd suggest running an Auto-Rx cycle in it to clean some of the possible junk out.

After that, you're probably good with Penzoil Platinum, Mobil1, or a "boutique" oil (like Amsoil) for synthetics. Motorcraft is a great synthetic blend choice too. Just remember to pick up a good filter with the change, because that's equally as important as a good oil.

Edit: I forgot to add using 5W-30 as your first choice.

So do the guys that have 01-04's with the reccomended 5w20 actually use 5w20? I heard ford switched the oil to post better EPA ratings.

It's been said that Ford went to the 5W-20 recomendation for help in meeting the CAFE standards for fleet averages.

So, yes, I use it. So do a good percentage of owners when it's recomended.