Which oil weight?

stang730

Apr 30, 2006
Long Island N.Y.
I just got this 88 notch as some of you know, and i checked the oil and its a little low. Im gonna do an oil change netx week, but i wanna throw a quart in till then. I dont know which weight to use in here, i dont have a manual, and i dont know what kind they were using before, im pretty sure that it wasant synthetic, what is a safe weight that i can put in for a couple of days?

• Sponsors (?)

10W-30, 10W-40 , or 20W-50 will all work fine depending on your needs and the shape th engine is in. I would try 10W-30 first and if the oil pressure is a little low in the heat or it consumes a bit to much then you will know to step up a weight.

I also agree considering the age and mileage of most fox's these days. 10w-30 seems to be the all around best oil. But obviously if you are in a climate that tends to be a little extreme in one temperature or the other then another weight may be better suited for your stang. I am a Amsoil dealer and after having delt with them for sometime I have also begun to realize that the weight recommended also seems to be based on the oil company. For instance Amsoil tends to recommend a lighter weight as compared to other manufacturers, I believe this do it part to all their oil being synthetic, but idk. H*ll they actually recommended 0w-30 or 5W-30 for my 94 cobra. Not that they new this but my car only has 15,000 miles on it too. So it's a little "tighter" as compared to a higher mileage car. But I went with 5W-30.... I don't care what they say its not a import motor and the tolerances aren't going to be as tight as a newer motot. Also, they did not know this either but my Cobra only see's pavement during the summer months soo. I thought it would be best for my car and its purposes.

I either use Amsoil full synthetic of course, since this is all they produce! Or Mobil 1 clean 5,000 10W-30 in my other toys... But I'm sure someone else thinks differently, Opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one! lol

Good luck though

With thinking like James recommends, one decides what's best for a given motor. No one can say whether 10W-30 will provide decent pressure at all times for someone's motor. One wants the least viscous oil that maintains pressure at all times. So like he said, try 10W-30 or 40 and if it thins out (pressure drops at hot idle) try 20W-50. I use the thick stuff in the summer here (triple digit highs, lows of 70*F).

Good luck.

Actually Ford later retroactively went back and revised the spec for 5W-20 as I recall. This is not any oil I would ever run though, unless I lived in a cold climate (as an alternative to 5W-30, as the 20 is a blend and has less susceptibility to shearing).

stang730 said:
Thx guys i was only a 1/2 quart low , i threw a little 10w30 in there. Like i said im almost positive there isnt synthetic in there, but if there was and i put 1/2 quart of reg oil in is that really bad?
In the old days, synthetics and dino oil didnt mix too well. These days, I wouldnt sweat it (a lot of guys do 'home brews' - mixes of dino and synthetics).

Good luck.