Which Should I Buy?

creilly84

Jan 18, 2004
To begin with, I love Mustangs. I just sold my rio red 94 gt, 5-speed.
The time has come to purchase a new stang.
I have 2 choices.

Option 1) An all original 1994 Opal Frost Mustang Gt 5-speed,w/ a black convertible top, w/ leather, mach 460 all options, with only 17,000 original miles, still has original tires on it. Also, the car came with the optional complete hardtop. Many people are unaware that such an option existed. The roof came with full headliner, dome light and everything. Looks identical to a coupe when on the car. The owner hasn't made up mind on exact price but probably between 7- 10 thousand. Owner is in early 50s, never driven hard, never seen rain, or snow.

Option 2) A 1996 - 1998 Cobra w/ probably around 60,000 + miles. More power, but not nearly as rare as the opal frost color or as low mileage as the gt as listed above. What do you guys think I oughta do?

• Sponsors (?)

Post me the link to that 94 so I can "check it out" :rolleyes:

arg-sneaky.gif

RC

I would go with the opal frost but I would not do a single mod to it. I would keep it bone stock to the paper filter. Still drive it but keep it as like a weekend driver cause that is very rare. I always thought the only removable hardtops where on 499 95 cobras that where all black. Nice find.

creilly84 said:
To begin with, I love Mustangs. I just sold my rio red 94 gt, 5-speed.
The time has come to purchase a new stang.
I have 2 choices.

Option 1) An all original 1994 Opal Frost Mustang Gt 5-speed,w/ a black convertible top, w/ leather, mach 460 all options, with only 17,000 original miles, still has original tires on it. Also, the car came with the optional complete hardtop. Many people are unaware that such an option existed. The roof came with full headliner, dome light and everything. Looks identical to a coupe when on the car. The owner hasn't made up mind on exact price but probably between 7- 10 thousand. Owner is in early 50s, never driven hard, never seen rain, or snow.

Option 2) A 1996 - 1998 Cobra w/ probably around 60,000 + miles. More power, but not nearly as rare as the opal frost color or as low mileage as the gt as listed above. What do you guys think I oughta do?

Be carefull with this. To the best of my knowledge only Cobras had the hardtop option with the 'vert. There was at least one after market company that made hardtops for 'verts. This may be what you're getting. :shrug:

BLOWN95GT said:
Be carefull with this. To the best of my knowledge only Cobras had the hardtop option with the 'vert. There was at least one after market company that made hardtops for 'verts. This may be what you're getting. :shrug:

there wer 499 95 convertible cobras that came with the optional hardtop, i believe they were all triple black. There is one company that i know of that make these top www.hardtopsformustangs.com was the website. it has been down for a while but they still make those. the removable hardtop brand new is 2500. If there is nothing wrong with the car it is totally worth it. He knows that it is a gt and not a cobra.

creilly84 said:
wouldn't the gt roof and the cobra roof be the same?

I think he might be suggesting it may not be a legit removable hardtop from the factory. It was an option in 94 and the person could have ordered it, it show up on the window sticker then they tell the guy that the option was cancelled and they will refund it. Then the guy could have bought one from the company that makes them. I new it was an option in 94 but I am pretty sure that they killed the option without any leaving the factory then in 95 499 cobras where made with it. Does it come with a stand for the removable hardtop? because a stand did come with the 95 cobras and was supposed to be on the 94's that where supposed to be realesed so it should have it. I would try to find a pic of a sales brochoure for 94 cause I remember they show a white vert with the hard top option and it shows a stand and check to see if it has the light that you say this one has. I would try to run a check on the vin and see if the removable hardtop option is really there.

SInce IM older and I remember researching stangs in 94, I remember that the hardtop was INDEED an option on the GT's. I remember saying to my wife that I wanted a Vert, which was $4k more, but if I got it, I would HAVE to get that option with it.

As far as the car itself, I would NOT keep it stock but I would do things that dont really hamper the value, like gears and exhaust...Maybe Polish it up :D

RC