Who'd you get to cut your key duplicates?

70stangcoupe

Founding Member
Nov 12, 2001
Winston-Salem, NC
Just won a new Transponder Key for my Mustang on eBay for 14.99$ shipped.

Who should I trust to cut this thing?

My dad says that since it's cut on both sides, it's harder to cut. I don't want my 15$ to be wasted when Big Lou from Main Street Auto Parts sneezes and kills the cut.

Who should I trust to cut that key to match mine? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Cutting a double-sided is no harded than a single sided. They just flip it over and cut it again. I don't think that you need to be a rocket-scientist to cut keys anyway.

Take it to Ford though...needs to be programmed.

To quote the eBay auction ver batim:

High Dealer Programming Fees?
Not When You Can Do It Yourself This Easily...

PATS 1 Programming Procedure
Ford: 97-98 Expedition, 96-97 Mustang & 96-97 Taurus
Lincoln: 97-98 Navigator
Mercury: 96-97 Sable
For these, you only need one working key to program your new PATS key into the vehicle. Simply insert your working key and turn to the ON position and then to OFF. Within 15 seconds, insert your new PATS key and turn to ON. The theft indicator light will go on for 2 seconds, after which your new key will start the vehicle.

70stangcoupe said:
Just won a new Transponder Key for my Mustang on eBay for 14.99$ shipped.

Who should I trust to cut this thing?

My dad says that since it's cut on both sides, it's harder to cut. I don't want my 15$ to be wasted when Big Lou from Main Street Auto Parts sneezes and kills the cut.

Who should I trust to cut that key to match mine? :shrug:

Gotta be programmed by Ford, sorry :nonono:

People people people. PATS I, which his 97 is, only requires 1 key to program. PATS II started on the 98 mustangs.

BTW, 70stangcoupe, my Ford dealer charged me $22 to cut my keys.

Why is everyone saying it needs to be programed by the dealer.... you can program it yourself, i did it on my car :shrug: (97 GT)

EDIT

oops didnt see:
70stangcoupe said:
For these, you only need one working key to program your new PATS key into the vehicle. Simply insert your working key and turn to the ON position and then to OFF. Within 15 seconds, insert your new PATS key and turn to ON. The theft indicator light will go on for 2 seconds, after which your new key will start the vehicle.

That is exactly what i did and worked like a charm. I have lost quite a few keys and keep programing new ones :D

I just did this on my 97GT. The cut should be simple enough. Shouldn't cost you too much. I spent $30 for key and cut, but the guy cutting it warned me that some dealers "turn off the programing mechanism". I think he was full of BS and wsa trying to cover his butt :rlaugh: . I programed it right infront of his store. Put an original in, turn to the on position and hol it there for 2-5 sec. then within 15 sec put the new key in and turn to on position until the Theft light goes off and take the key out. I waited for a min then started the car with the new key. :p