Wierd Smell

Lovejoy

Jerking And Popping
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
hey guys question here. threw on 70 mm tb couple weeks ago. seemed to be burning antifreeze right after install a lot of white smoke. not nearly as much now weeks later but does smell very odd and smokes a little. wondering if i could have some tiny leak of coolant or maybe running rich or lean. any comments would help. car runs cool and good so kinda confused. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same thing. I got a 70mm Acuufab TB and the gasket didnt work at all, and the coolant that goes through the EGR seeped into the intake pipe and down the manifold. I just bypassed the EGR line, but I live the Houston so I don't have to worry about my TB icing over. If you live in a colder area I wouldn't recommend doing that.

It might just be easier to get some rtv and put a generous amount around the edge of the TB and EGR. When you unplug those 2 hoses, coolant is gonna come out. Then again if you take off the EGR it will too. If you can, maybe, squeeze the 2 hoses with something that doesn't have teeth.

Last edited:
Most leaks are due to failure to clean the old gasket residue off before installing a new gasket. Good Enough" means that you have all bare shiny metal and no dirt or debris stuck on the gasket mating surfaces. Painstakingly scraping the metal mating surfaces with a razor blade scraper is often difficult to do and inconvenient, However, it is a very important part of the assembly process.

While this sounds overly simple, it is all to easy to do a minimal clean up and slap it together. Clean shiny metal, a thin coat of RTV on the metal surfaces, and a fresh gasket will guarantee a leak free seal every time.

Reactions: 1 user