will 89 lincon lsc 8.8 rear fit in 65 or 67 stang?

bartman

Jan 2, 2004
FL
Does anyone know if a 89 lincon lsc 8.8 will fit either a 65 or a 67 mustang? I haven't seen the rear yet, but can get my hands on one. Price seems good. I believe it has disc brakes, new 373 gears and limited slip. But don't know what I might be getting in to. I can pick it up for $100.00 bucks. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
Bartman

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with D.Hearne, "Not very easily". The suspension you are wanting to swap in, is from a fox body car with a total different set-up. Firstly they have coil springs in the back. Then they are held in by control/trailing arms which would need to be precision mounted specially to the body of your car. Then you may have to look at differences in width etc. I'm sure it could be done, but is it worth it? Not in my humble opinion.

BigDaddyCee said:
I agree with D.Hearne, "Not very easily". The suspension you are wanting to swap in, is from a fox body car with a total different set-up. Firstly they have coil springs in the back. Then they are held in by control/trailing arms which would need to be precision mounted specially to the body of your car. Then you may have to look at differences in width etc. I'm sure it could be done, but is it worth it? Not in my humble opinion.
I couldn't have said it better. Other than what BigDaddy said, the other route would be to remove all the coil spring attachments and adapt it to your leaf spring suspension. That is if it's the solid rear axle I'm thinking it is. The independent rear 8.8 setup is another story. I saw a buildup series in one of the mags that did the independent swap and it looked fairly easy.

if you had the spring perches welded on and removed all the stock coil spring mounting stuff it should be a fairly easy swap just need to make sure everything is setup properly before you attempt it, would most likely be easier than some of the explorer rear swaps a lot of people have been trying since you shouldn't have to shorten the axle on one side to center the pinion gear. on the upside even if the rear doesn't fit the brakes will work on most 8 and 9 inch rears with the bracket kit from ultrastang (around 50 bucks i think) so you would have a fairly inexpensive rear disk set-up. i'd say go ahead and get it vene if the rear itself doesn't end up working especially if it has 3.73's and traction lok diff

Can't speak for that rear but I put one out of an 89 stang and as far as mounting it it was very easy, just cut all the old crap off and welded new spring perches on making sure to align them correctly, it it is a solid housing and the width is right i'd say go for it