Will Mac 2.5" Catback fit with my 15x10 Welds & 275 nittos?

mbl585

Founding Member
Feb 22, 2001
I am currently running 15x10 (with 6.5" backspacing but I am using 1/4" spacer) Weld draglites with 275-50-15 nitto drag radials. I really wanted to go back to tailpipes and quiet my car down a little. If I went with the Mac 2.5" catback kit (bolt on tailpipes) would I have any fitment or rubbing problems?

• Sponsors (?)

I remember hearing from a couple of guys who ran 2.5" tips with 275 tires. They had barely any room, but hey, they didn't rub. I think they were flowmaster catbacks though... What's your reason for wanting to run tips if you don't mind me asking?

Personally, I would just run dumps. No flame intended. :nice:

I was tired of the really loud exaust from my 3" produmps. Wanted something a little quieter plus I like the tailpipe look on my LX. Anyone else with advice on this?

I had the MAC Cat-back on my 93 Cobra. With a 275 tire the ball flange on the tailpipes would rub on turns and when the car was loaded down. On my 95 I have 15x10 Welds and a 275 D/R (no spacer). I would rub also during turns and if I had the tires below 20psi. I had a Flowmaster cat back on this car. The MAC tail pipes are a bit bigger I believe. I'm looking to get the MAC pro-dumps soon, how do they sound and how do you like them? Besides being noisy. :D

Thanks for the info on the tailpipes. I am just worried that it will rub really bad since I have the 15x10 w/ 6.5" backspacing despite the .25" spacer I put on. I just don't want to buy the kit and find out that it won't work it rubs too much. Is a little rubbing ok? With the mac system, can you really turn or adjust the tailpipes at all?

Well that depends on whether or not you have tha actual "cat back" or are just installing tail pipes on your pro dumps. The Cat back has ball and socket style fittings (just like the rest of the exhaust connestions) about 1/2 way up from the muffler. You can adjust the tail pipes a bit from there. I'd hate to see you spend the coin on it and find out the hard way. From the sounds of it, you got alot of tire/rim so space is minimal. Might be best to go to a muffler shop and have something custom bent up. That way you know it'll fit. Good luck.

THanks Bling for the info, I will actually be purchasing the bolt-together cat-back like you are talking about. Where exactly was your tailpipe or flange hitting the tire? I'm just trying to get an idea of where it will possibly come in contact with the tire and what I can do to somehow prevent it.

Mine was hitting the rear of the tire (closest to the taillight). No matter how I adjusted it it would still rub somewhere. When I'd get it to where it would clear, the tailpipes were crooked and looked ridiculous. I got tired of it and just left them off. :bang:

Darn, that's what I don't want to happen to me...I don't want to ge the catback to find out there will always be rubbing problems and I can't use the catback! AHhh!